Reloading:Is it worth it?

hunter0925

I started at the beginning of this year, probably not the best time but I was selective what I bought and when. The loads I have developed for my 6.5 & 7-08 we're pretty awesome but the loads for the 280ai have been some of the best groups I've ever shot. With 280ai factory loads being nonexistent the gun would have collected dust.
That rifle sure helps make those groups look good. Lol

MUP

In a nutshell, handloading is a stress relieving activity, that yields a few positive side effects, such as very precise ammo for particular rifles of mine, peace of mind knowing I have the capability of producing ammo when none is on the shelf at the local, or online retailers, and always interesting trying different recipes. Seeing the results of a dialed in load, especially at distance, hard to put a price on that. 😁

DaveB

Have been loading since the mid-1980's. Started with 30/06 added 243 then 22-250 then 300 WinMag all in roughly the same 8 months.

The .280 comment above tells a story everyone should read again and again until the message gets through. When you load you can customize the load for a rifle until you find the EUREKA moment. I found my 06 sweet spot in 1985 AND I HAVE NEVER CHANGED IT. Found my 223 perfect load several years ago and I will never change it. Many others are in that same condition. It is true that for several calibers I have not found Nirvanah but I keep trying. Its a ton of fun.

nso123

I have bought several rifles through the years from folks who say the rifle just doesn't shoot well. I only sold one of them because it wouldn't shoot after working loads up for it. Being able to tune your ammo to your rifle is a very valuable asset.

rickyk280

In a nutshell, handloading is a stress relieving activity, that yields a few positive side effects, such as very precise ammo for particular rifles of mine, peace of mind knowing I have the capability of producing ammo when none is on the shelf at the local, or online retailers, and always interesting trying different recipes. Seeing the results of a dialed in load, especially at distance, hard to put a price on that. 😁
No truer words have been spoken, been handloading since 1975. I haven't saved any money but I have enjoyed it and still do.

ROVERBOY

Been loading since '87 and still enjoy it. I started with .30-30, then .357 Magnum/.38 Special, .223, .308, .30-06, 8mm, 9mm, .45ACP. I don't save money either but, have ammo when I want it or need it.

kamml

I have had only one rifle that would not respond to a handload, it was a darn beautiful Winchester featherweight in 7x57. It had a long chamber. I expect ammo to go up in price, especially since Wolf will become unobtanium soon, so if you are loading for several or just a couple and like to shoot, once you beat the price of the setup, you can save money.

mr.big

About all I shoot anymore is the 6 mm BRA 6 mm PPC and the 6.5x47 Lapua and there isn't anyway to do that without reloading them.

Latest posts