Reloading:Is it worth it?

Hunter 257W

I got a great price on shotgun shell primers at a closeout at Benton Shooters Supply. I remember the time that they had all kinds of shotgun shell reloading stuff. Now zero! I used to shoot competitive trap many years ago. I was reloading at half the price of loaded shells at any store.
Yeah it used to be worthwhile to load shotshells. I started reloading with shotshells back in 1976 when my Father got me a MEC 500 loader. Shot was something like $10 or $12 a bag, powder less than $10 a pound. You could load a lot cheaper than factory. Once I got out of school got a job started buying powder in 8lb kegs, primers by the case and wads in cases of 5,000 so the price per shot dropped even lower. My favorite load of 1 oz shot, 16 grains Red Dot and a Pattern Control wad was dirt cheap to shoot and I shot about 500 per week for several years. Got lucky and bought about 10,000 empty 12 gauge hulls for about $180 in an auction one time so have a lifetime supply. Shot kept creeping up with inflation as expected for a number of years then suddenly it jumped from about $25 to over $50 a bag in one leap. Ever since that point it really hasn't been worth loading shotshells anymore. You can buy the "dove load" shells cheaper from about any place that sells ammo. I still have enough shot to load about 4,500 shells but have used mostly factory loads for several years anyhow.

Specializedjon

Reloading is an investment for sure. Like MUP said, "peace of mind" and self reliance. What's going on now with ammo is just a preview of what's on the horizon. They may not be able to take our guns...but they can take the ammo! hmmm. For me it's my "vise" and a way to relax. I've been reloading for about 5-years and don't know hardly as much as the true "Reloading Guys", but with a progressive press, it's almost mind numbing once you get all the dies set.

Safari Hunt

Shooting casts bullets is low velocity for sure. I shoot 240 grain, .429, in a 44 special load in a 44 magnum. Magnum velocities require a gas check to eliminate leading in the barrel.
As for gun and ammo taxes, if/when this happens, flood your representatives and senators, both state and federal, with letters, voicing your opposition to them. The squeaking wheel gets the grease.

wayne

Thanks for all great answers. Stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse today and....

Attachments

• 1119201047.jpg
    1119201047.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 125

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I bought 5k primers today and a couple of jugs of powder. Its out there and believe it or not, not everyone is scalping prices.

Also spoke with my cousin who is an FFL holder and his rep told him that it will be at least 18-24 months before any of this jackassery gets calmed down. If that ding dong Biden gets in.....who knows.

DaveB

If you reload and are the least bit sober you never sweat these shortages. I learned my lesson about 10 years ago and now I maintain a stash that is respectable in every way. MUP aint kidding.....

If you are staring at empty shelves I will remind everyone the 2012 Sandy Hook shootings resulted in a shortage that took I believe two years to get ironed out, might have been longer.

If you are late to the reloading game but want to join in you need to be ultra cautious as prices are stupid high. Start looking for garage sales and the Obits in your local newspapers. Of course, high prices are irrelevant if you need ammo and someone has it at quadruple their cost. Hold your nose and buy as little as possible to carry you for awhile. Best of luck.

Great hobby. And makes you non reliant on supply chain. Load as you need it on the Lee or fire up the Dillon and crank them out. It's a very good feeling knowing that you can make ammunition anytime you want and shoot anytime you want at reasonable prices. I really enjoy the hobby it's relaxing challenging and fun all at the same time and rewarding. Make calibers and shotshells you can't buy now. Priceless.

backyardtndeer

Seeing where premium ammo is now, and figuring my costs to build the same ammo, I am pretty happy that I am able to continue to load my own. Saw an article just this morning saying that there will be a 2022 ammo shortage, I did not open and read the article though.

MUP

I bought 5k primers today and a couple of jugs of powder. Its out there and believe it or not, not everyone is scalping prices.

Also spoke with my cousin who is an FFL holder and his rep told him that it will be at least 18-24 months before any of this jackassery gets calmed down. If that ding dong Biden gets in.....who knows.
And we're seeing it pan out right before our eyes now.

Olevern

I never saved a dime, BUT... I got to shoot a lot for the same money...and have been able to work up loads specific to my guns that shoot better'n they have any right to.
If you decide to enter the ranks of the reloaders, frequent the places close to you that sell components and buy more than you will use over the short term, lay up a stock of components against the next shortages....my goal over the last eight years or so, since before the Obama shortages has been to lay aside enough components to keep me shooting the rest of my retired life. My friends all laughed at me, but over the last years those who have seen my reloading room and how deep I stocked have been begging me to sell them components, most notably primers. I have refused each and every one of them and even lost what I considered a good friend and "range rat" when I told him "I didn't stock up on components so that you could continue to shoot throughout my retirement and I won't sell any of my stash which cannot be replaced now, if ever.

I guess that makes me an evil person; haven't heard from him in over a year.

Stock deep and keep shooting.

Yes I see it all the time. Country store gets ammo. Place goes crazy. Folks paying $20 for a box of 5.56. $0.66 a round for good 9mm. Heartbreaking. Seriously. They need ammo. And bird season no shotshells anywhere. Deer season…rifle ammo unavailable barely. Sad.

DaveTN

As someone that has been shooting and collecting for over 50 years and just started reloading the last few weeks, I can say without a doubt you can't save any money, and you couldn't before CRB. (Covid/Riots/Biden)

If you are a match shooter buying match grade rifle ammo at $3-$4 a round; maybe. But there's no way you can buy components retail and build ammo for the price of retail ammo, pre CRB or not.

I made the move because sometimes you can't get ammo, no matter what you pay. Or you do something stupid like decide maybe you would like to shoot Cowboy Action. Not only do they have specific specs on loads, but it has to be lead bullets. Are you kidding me? Not only is there no ammo available, but now it has to be lead. So what happened? Well… some nice ammo companies (our friends) stepped up and loaded some rounds with cheap azz lead bullets, cream puffs loads, gave them a "Special Cowboy" name and charged ridiculous amounts for them.:rolleyes: That's kinda what did it for me.

Some forum members here have helped me a bunch in getting started; thank you guys.👍 I have loaded some .38 Special loads, and am in the process of getting what I need to load some .308 Rifle rounds.

Right now I have some .38 Special's that I have about $9 invested in each round. But they are very nice looking rounds. 🤣

backyardtndeer

As someone that has been shooting and collecting for over 50 years and just started reloading the last few weeks, I can say without a doubt you can't save any money, and you couldn't before CRB. (Covid/Riots/Biden)

If you are a match shooter buying match grade rifle ammo at $3-$4 a round; maybe. But there's no way you can buy components retail and build ammo for the price of retail ammo, pre CRB or not.

I made the move because sometimes you can't get ammo, no matter what you pay. Or you do something stupid like decide maybe you would like to shoot Cowboy Action. Not only do they have specific specs on loads, but it has to be lead bullets. Are you kidding me? Not only is there no ammo available, but now it has to be lead. So what happened? Well… some nice ammo companies (our friends) stepped up and loaded some rounds with cheap azz lead bullets, cream puffs loads, gave them a "Special Cowboy" name and charged ridiculous amounts for them.:rolleyes: That's kinda what did it for me.

Some forum members here have helped me a bunch in getting started; thank you guys.👍 I have loaded some .38 Special loads, and am in the process of getting what I need to load some .308 Rifle rounds.

Right now I have some .38 Special's that I have about $9 invested in each round. But they are very nice looking rounds. 🤣
I can still build 243 rounds with interlocks for less than $10 per 20, but that is with components I bought long before covid. My .223 rounds less than $20 per hundred. I have since bought a good bit of components, some not so fair price and some very good for the current market. When I tap into those my cost per round will obviously go up, but will still be far below the current market prices. I am closer to $15 per 20 on my cost for current component prices on 243. That however is not counting brass, since I have not had to buy any 243 brass.

Last time I was able to go into our Walmart, I over heard someone asking the gun counter guy what they had. His answer just the few boxes of 7.62 fmj's. Sucks for people out there unable to buy what they need. I looked this morning and saw that a box of 243 core lokts is going for anywhere from $25-45 at the big name stores, if they even have them in stock.

Last edited:

fairchaser

I love it. It's like male knitting except you're building accurate ammo that will last for decades to come. If you are a person who pays attention to detail and likes completing a task, you will probably enjoy reloading. Don't get into it to save money. You probably won't be any good at it. Be prepared though because you're jumping into a black hole of wanting more and more perfection and better and better equipment and greater and greater precision. But, it's great fun!

I think where the money is saved is in exotic rounds. 357 sig, 10mm, 44 mag, even 32 and 45LC and 45. Also I just loaded two boxes of 16 gauge. About eleven a box all in. Over time my loaders will pay off. And supplies are out there at reasonable prices. You just have to look I think the days of Primers at three cents apiece are gone but there's still deals to be had. Just get it one piece at a time. I just refurbished a MEC 600jr pre 83 for a friend. C note and a few parts. Facebook marketplace no less. Now he is loading 12ga. Deals are out there you just have to keep your eye open for them.

fullstream

I started at the beginning of this year, probably not the best time but I was selective what I bought and when. The loads I have developed for my 6.5 & 7-08 we're pretty awesome but the loads for the 280ai have been some of the best groups I've ever shot. With 280ai factory loads being nonexistent the gun would have collected dust.

Latest posts