Reloading Equipment for rookies

MidTN

Wanting to start reloading my own. I never reloaded any type of shell. I plan to reload 40 S&W. Is there good reloading starter set on the market for a rookie?

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I have the Lee Turret press. Pretty easy to load up a few hundred rounds in an hour. I have my issues with the auto index but they are self created instead of equipment created.

Would highly reccomending getting a hand priming tool.

BTW, be advised if you are shooting a glock 40cal, the brass will bulge and needs to be fully sized before reloading.

Schulzie

I second the Lee turret press. Is it the best, no. Honestly there are better, but they cost more. I've had my Lee 4 hole turret for several years. Yes, the plastic square drive will wear out in the auto index, order several spares. They're cheap. It will convert from auto index to manual in 10 seconds, its inexpensive to buy and get other calibers set up. Most reloading stores have parts for them. I bought a. Use Dillon 659 XL that I late sold because I like my Lee. I Don't shoot that much that I needed the Dillon. Plus caliber conversions were so expensive. And if you later upgrade, your Lee can be used as a seperate single stage for extra steps (bulge removal, deprime)

Tiny

Tiny said:

The reason I said Dillon esp the 550 here is there the best an simple to use esp for Handgun calibers and can be used for rifles.Order it ready to go with 40 S&W. All you need is a scale to change and check powder settings.

Nothing wrong with the others BTW esp the Lymann Turret Kits.

But if your only looking to load 1 caliber with no plans to add others stick to factory ammo IMO unless you do a heck of lot of shooting.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Not that familiar with Lymann, Dillon or Hornady.

RCBS has one heck of a warranty. Lee has a 2 year warranty.

If money is an issue, Lee is the way to go.

Single stage presses are pretty reliable and with the right set up, mainly meaning a powder measure, you can load allot of ammo in a short time. Turret presses, you can load even faster.

If you are shooting a Glock 22 or picking up/using range brass, be aware of the glock bulge, cases will have to be fully sized (Lee has a bulge buster kit) or your reloaded ammo will not feed.

pcrc

I picked up a used Lee Turret press a month or so ago and have loaded close to 500 rounds of 40S&W so far. Definately like the not having to change dies aspect of it. Fortunately 500 rounds will last me probaly a year or so. If I was needing more than that I would probaly step up to one of the more expensive progressive presses from Dillon, RCBS, Hornaday etc.

Latest posts