Reelfoot help?

TheLBLman

I will add the locals typically mark the largest stumps with cane or poles. Doesn't mean other stumps aren't there and unmarked. Low water is tough

I will add some of these were done with steel rebarb. Regardless whether water levels are high or low, you can hit one of these, and the risk is not just damaging your motor, but actually puncturing your boat.

Some of these can be difficult to see not just because of water levels, but because boats have hit them, bent them way over, so if you hit them from the other direction, they can go right through the floor of your boat.

For those not extremely familiar with navigating this lake, idle speed can save you much grief.

And again, whether the water is very high or very low, either can hide stumps and rebarb. Some of the obstructions easily seen in low water, you don't see in higher water. Some you easily go over in high water, you hit in lower water.

There are lots of "flat" lily pad patches too. You may easily glide through these, but they can also easily hide a stump that only a couple inches under a big pad.

Levee Jumper

Really? A setup? For what? I am just trying to get some info to stay safe. We have a set blind so its not like we are trying to get in someones spot. Id be more than willing to help anyone if they came to my area, but hey, that just me.
I think I remember you stating that you got drawn for a blind just northwest of Green Island Point on the lower end. If that is correct, there is not going to be a foolproof solution to just put in and run wide open from any particular boat ramp every time without a chance of hitting something. I would suggest putting in wherever you have the best protection from the wind and take your time. (i.e. don't put in on the curve at Boyetts and run sideways to 4 footers with a strong North wind). (On a side note, I assume many of the ramps are too shallow to put in currently)

Knocking your lower end off is a direct result of going too fast, but if you get high centered on a big stump by going too slow in big waves, you are likely to sink your boat.

I saw a 20 footer sink out there once. They were pulling log chains and fishing with the wind trolling for crappie. Chains got hung up and pulled the transom under.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
You might try calling the area manager and asking him about routes to the blind. Last year they had posted routes for the tier 2 blinds, but I don't think they ever have for Tier 1's. CHASE TAYLOR (731) 253-7343 according to page 43 of the hunting guide.

Hawk

If I remember your blind is RD-34 on NW side of Green Island. If that is right there are several landings down the lake from the one you mentioned. At least two in Lake county and one in Obion county across from Green Island.
Anyway you look at it your blind is only good or at its best only when the weather & wind is dangerous. Normal days will yield a few ducks but days when best it is too dangerous to cross the open water to access it. This is knowledge from a lake veteran not me.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I sometimes fish reelfoot and the guys that caution your speed are right. Idle speed, PFD, kill switch and a loose grip on the steering wheel. One thing not mentioned here is submerged / suspended logs and stumps that move about freely and unseen. Never underestimate the wind and its effects on that lake including white outs and lofted water coming back down as ice. Bilge pump will not handle snow or ice. Pack a dry change in a giant ziplock bag, check any ego at the truck, be prepared to spend the night in the blind if the weather goes to hell because 4 foot waves in the dark among stumps and 33 degree water is not a recipe for great memories to be told. Stay safe

Latest posts