Reelfoot help?

scn

Does anybody know lake conditions ( best path to take) from the boat ramp across from Reelfoot Lake Inn straight across? Never been on that lake.
I have been on Reelfoot a few times in the past. I saw enough to know that there is no way in Hades I would attempt to navigate on that lake on a first trip. It is shallow (even more so this year in the drought), and a strong wind can make it treacherous. And, with the thousands of stumps just under the water surface, a conventional outboard isn't the best choice. I think you will see most of the locals running some type of surface drive. If that is what you are talking about running, you might make it over if you aren't dealing with 4 foot waves.

If you REALLY want to duck hunt on Reelfoot, you are MUCH better off in hiring a guide and letting them handle the navigating. It will be next to impossible to haul in enough decoys to compete with the HUGE spreads that are the norm down there in the permanent blinds.

IMO, you have a better chance on a Reelfoot quota hunt of getting seriously hurt than you do of killing a bunch of ducks. YMMV.

Kritter Gitter

I have been on Reelfoot a few times in the past. I saw enough to know that there is no way in Hades I would attempt to navigate on that lake on a first trip. It is shallow (even more so this year in the drought), and a strong wind can make it treacherous. And, with the thousands of stumps just under the water surface, a conventional outboard isn't the best choice. I think you will see most of the locals running some type of surface drive. If that is what you are talking about running, you might make it over if you aren't dealing with 4 foot waves.

If you REALLY want to duck hunt on Reelfoot, you are MUCH better off in hiring a guide and letting them handle the navigating. It will be next to impossible to haul in enough decoys to compete with the HUGE spreads that are the norm down there in the permanent blinds.

IMO, you have a better chance on a Reelfoot quota hunt of getting seriously hurt than you do of killing a bunch of ducks. YMMV.
Well, I have a blind for the season and am in no way gonna hire a guide. Just trying for some info. Thanks

TimberMan

You got a blind for the season but haven't been on the lake? Assuming it is a draw blind, they all needed some form of work and brush.

TimberMan

I will add the locals typically mark the largest stumps with cane or poles. Doesn't mean other stumps aren't there and unmarked. Low water is tough

scn

Well, I have a blind for the season and am in no way gonna hire a guide. Just trying for some info. Thanks
If you have it for the season, you have some time to learn it before it opens. Hopefully you can get a gps that will mark a track and have a local show you a safe way to the blind.

Good luck! That is a different deal than a quota hunt. You have the opportunity to put out a big enough spread to kill some ducks.

Dodge Man

I have ridden with a lot of locals and almost all use big outboard motors and run them wide open! 😳😬 I have never been so concerned or worried for my safety as riding in across the lake running wide open with a guy running a 90-150hp outboard in the dark with nothing but a hand held spotlight. But we never hit anything, they know what they are doing and where they are going.

scn

I have ridden with a lot of locals and almost all use big outboard motors and run them wide open! 😳😬 I have never been so concerned or worried for my safety as riding in across the lake running wide open with a guy running a 90-150hp outboard in the dark with nothing but a hand held spotlight. But we never hit anything, they know what they are doing and where they are going.
I've done the same with some of our officers, but just relaxed and figured they had all of the stumps named. There is no substitute for local knowledge! My first day on the lake was in an airboat, and it turned into a real experience.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
All the ones I have been with didn't even use a spotlight.
I'm like you, I just kicked back and enjoyed the ride.
and prayed a little. ;)

TAFKAP

I've only been out there with a guide, and of all my trips, only one of them originated in the lower Blue Basin. We would load the boat there, and there is a trail of PVC staubs that dot along the length of the open water that the guides all know and use. I would recommend getting out there on a bright sunny day with a depth finder or fish finder radar to slowly map out your route. Then memorize that route and never deviate from it. For good measure, never run your boat without a dead-man cutoff lanyard, and always wear a PFV with a light.

Levee Jumper

I used to fish that lake by myself all the time back when I was in High School and College. I didn't worry much about the stumps but didn't want anything to do with it if it was 20 mph + straight out of the North or South. I did pull a guy from right out from the spillway ditch to Keystone one day after he knocked the motor off of his boat lol.

West_Tn

I've been out there and ran a 21ft bass boat with a 250hp Pro XS lol.