Redneck Rod repair

7mm08

I used to build fly rods LONG ago so when I popped a guide up in the mountains I thought what the heck. With the aid of a rubber band to drive the motor( the old black rubber was dry rotted ), help from Mudhole, and Schwartz - Principles oF Surgery for thread tension my Loomis has been repaired.

I wouldn't recommend this for the " faint of heart" especially the next to last guide on a 4wt

DaveB

Or on any Loomis rod, you will never see them in the discount bin.

How do you keep the wrap lines straight?

(at first I thought you shot your guide, I can identify)

choupique

DaveB":pnvfbp43 said:

After they transitioned to Shimano and their repair policy went to crap, I had a nice 5wt holding up beans in my garden. Will never buy another again...

7mm08

DaveB":3tzgbo42 said:

How do you keep the wrap lines straight?

(at first I thought you shot your guide, I can identify)

The book acts as the "TENSIONER" which allows you to keep it all straight. You run the thread thru the book and keep the spool typically in a cup or the masking tape spool.

Loomis used a really light colored thread on this rod. It matches pretty well. 6-8 year old rod anyway. The trout won't care. I'm not the artist some of these " rod makers " are.

7mm08

choupique":3sjqcwm5 said:
DaveB":3sjqcwm5 said:

After they transitioned to Shimano and their repair policy went to crap, I had a nice 5wt holding up beans in my garden. Will never buy another again...

With you on that ...... I'm a Sage or Scott guy now. I buy my rods USED off eBay.

Latest posts