Reddish-pink brass out of the wet tumbler

fairchaser

What's the source of the color? You might have invented a new way to keep brass separate. Color code it.

DaveTN

It's called dezincification. It weakens the brass and can be caused by the chemicals you are using or by putting something other than brass in when you tumble.

There is a lot of controversy about whether the brass is safe to use anymore. I've seen experts in metallurgy say it's not safe, opposed by those that say they have used it without it killing them, so its okay. You should google it.

DaveB

When this happened to me I traced it to (Lyman) walnut media not removed from brass flash holes.

My resolution:
1. Throw all walnut media away. Hate the stuff anyway. Gets caught between my toes.
2. Corn cob media tumble all the brass in that stained batch.
3. Pick every last piece of corn cob out of flash holes and be sure none gets into the SS tumbler.
4. SS tumble your brass to get inside and primer pocket clean. Be sure no nickle plated anything is in the tumbler.

If you mix nickle with copper brass in a SS tumbler each piece will come out with an ugly dull color. Again, you have to corncob tumble to get clean. This happened to me twice. I am way more careful now.