Annealing brass

megalomaniac

So I've somehow managed to survive 30 years without annealing brass...

But now brass is starting to get crazy stupid expensive (like all other components... primers were $9.99 a brick when I started).

Normally I pitch my magnums after 5 reloads, and my low pressure rounds after 8 or 9 reloads...

But I'm thinking hard about buying an annealer... both for brass longevity, as well as for more consistent neck tension throughout the life of the brass.

I'm not,at this point in life, looking to shoot quarter inch groups. Maybe one day I'll want to compete. But I do expect half to 3/4 MOAs from my hunting rifles.

Worth it to extend brass life and squeeze another quarter in MOA from reloads?

Not going to buy the $1600 AMP...
But thinking of this one

Lost Lake

I do most of my annealing on my big bore straight wall cases, which need to have the mouths belled to seat bullets. It greatly extends brass life, and as expensive as brass is for some cartridges, I think it's worth it. The added accuracy potential would be worth it it me in your case.

Do it!

Omega

I annealed a little using the drill/socket method occasionally, when I had cases of unknown firings I got off the range or trades. But when I started converting cases to 300Blk I bought the annealeez which was one of the more affordable units then. I now see many machines that closely match this and if they work half as good it will be great.

LjK7tnd.jpg

megalomaniac

I annealed a little using the drill/socket method occasionally, when I had cases of unknown firings I got off the range or trades. But when I started converting cases to 300Blk I bought the annealeez which was one of the more affordable units then. I now see many machines that closely match this and if they work half as good it will be great.

LjK7tnd.jpg
I think the Burstfire is very similar, but includes power case prepping station

nso123

LjK7tnd.jpg
I have this one too. It works pretty well for me.

FredRog72

So I've somehow managed to survive 30 years without annealing brass...

But now brass is starting to get crazy stupid expensive (like all other components... primers were $9.99 a brick when I started).

Normally I pitch my magnums after 5 reloads, and my low pressure rounds after 8 or 9 reloads...

But I'm thinking hard about buying an annealer... both for brass longevity, as well as for more consistent neck tension throughout the life of the brass.

I'm not,at this point in life, looking to shoot quarter inch groups. Maybe one day I'll want to compete. But I do expect half to 3/4 MOAs from my hunting rifles.

Worth it to extend brass life and squeeze another quarter in MOA from reloads?

Not going to buy the $1600 AMP...
But thinking of this one
Bought the Burstfire about a month ago. I have no experience with the others but it is pretty awesome!

I can text you videos of it in operation if you want.

megalomaniac

Bought the Burstfire about a month ago. I have no experience with the others but it is pretty awesome!

I can text you videos of it in operation if you want.
Oh, I've watched a ton of videos on it on You Tube. It really does have a great design, has readily available replacement components (even on Midway) for reasonable prices. And I don't have an automatic case prep center now... doing it all by hand... 52y/o now, so hand cramps more with case prep than when I was younger.

Basically I'm thinking it's nearly identical to the Annealeez, but with the added benefit of the powered case prep center.

Only reason I'm hesitant.....

I just blew $1733 on a new Christenson Arms Ridgeline FFT 7PRC. Wife grumbled a bit, but she just spent $2000 on exploratory surgery for her dog, so we evened out.... but I don't want to push my luck... If I spend too much at once, she is going to do something stupid, like try to buy a new car :)

Latest posts