Rating the caller types.

Iglow

Just to my ear, none of them really sound like a hen yelping, I think it's just the sound pattern that does it ( same reason they gobble at crow calls) but imo a scratch box clucks best, a wingbone/trumpet type keekee and Jake yelp best, a pot type purrs best with a scratch box next. A box is loud but not versatile and a glass/carbon is waterproof along with the wingbone/trumpet. A mouth call is deadly cause it's no hands but it doesn't really make any of the common calls better than any other type. Overall I can do more with less with the scratch box. It's portable, quiet to carry, pretty durable, easy to use, can make most calls except keekee and can make soft calls when needed. All the above is my opinion, what's yours?

TN Larry

I honestly try not to get caught up in what sounds best to me. I went through the craze a few years ago with buying a bunch of custom pot calls but most stayed at home. My advice is to work on what works good for you.

For me, it's finding a mouth call that fits my mouth and I can run to my preference. This is a Woodhaven red wasp for me. I'm gonna say 95% of the time, if I can't call him in with a mouth call, then he's not riding with me. I throw a pot call in some. Luckily over the years, several have made that ride which is what works for me and my preference.

Last edited:

Newt

Mouth call sounds most realistic to me that's probably 90% what I use but I carry a aluminum pot for windy days and striking the other 10%

deerhunter10

98 percent of the time I use a mouth call all kinds. Aluminum or tube call to get loud if need be. Use pot calls some not a ton. Biggest thing with mouth calls is finding the cuts you like, then it's all wind control.

Some of the worst yelps/ turkey sounds I've ever heard in my life comes out of real hens.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
The only time I've been fooled in the woods thinking it was a real hen was a guy running a box call. I hated those things in spite of that and refused to ever use one. Had a friend give me one a few years ago, and tried it out and it is now my main call to strike up a bird until it's too close to use, then I switch to a mouth call. I still have a few pot call that I like and use, but that box call is now my favorite. Makes me sick to my stomach to say that.

ROVERBOY

I have mouth calls, wingbones, boxes, slates, and scratch boxes. I use them all at times. The wingbones sometimes work when nothing else will .

Setterman

I only carry mouth calls and friction calls. I'd say 95% of my calling is done with a friction call. If they're close enough to see me move I better not be calling is my philosophy.

They might not sound good for anything other than purrs OP. But I've been told mine sound real at a distance. I don't think it matters a whole lot though, set up is far more important along with a cooperative bird

Joe2Kool

Mouth call is my favorite. But, I carry a couple of slate calls, box calls, and yelpers. If I'm setup and don't get a response, I'll wait 15 minutes and switch to a different call and keep rotating through them.

thirdwilliam

I am a pot call guy. Never was able to use a mouth call. I also agree with Setterman, a willing bird and set up are the most important. One of my early mentors in turkey hunting told, if you are not where a turkey wants to be, you can be a world champion caller and not kill one

Latest posts