raised beds

DCA-DEER

Wanting to build some raised beds for early stuff whats the best material to build them out of. Ive heard treated is out because of chemicals what about old railroad ties or would they still have too much creosote.

pressfit

I have built flower beds out of treated landscaping post..never had any problem.. also just tore out a big one that was built from cross ties.. it grew flowers no problemo..

DntBrnDPig

I used 2x12's as well. I made 1 bed out of 3 - 8 foot boards by cutting one in half and using it for the smaller sides. You can reach in the middle from either side making it the perfect width.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
The best untreated material to use is Cedar.It has natural resistance to bugs and decay.Cedar fence boards are the cheapest route and will last at least 5 or 6 years.2" x !2" are much more expenseive but will last for a very long time. The 1st bed I made with these is in Downtown Nashville in ft of the Ag Ex office.It's been there about 15 years ?? and still has alot of life left.
Concrete cinder blocks also work well.The new plastic deck boards work well too and last along time.

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I use treat boards from Lowes and have no problems. When I first started, I talked to a chemist who was expermimenting with treated lumber for raised beds. He tested the soil and assured me there was no problem in using the lumber.

TX300mag

2x10s

12'X4' (I've done 16', but they bow over time)

4' wide is makes stapling fabric and plastic mulch down a breeze.

Bout to put about 10 more beds up.

peppers.jpg