My raised beds.....

The_Utility_Dude

Been doing the traditional garden thing for years and years. My brother talked me into trying the raised beds last year. I'll never go the traditional garden route again. I couldn't believe just how much more these beds produce compared to traditional gardening. The mushroom compost helps a lot.

Thanks for all the compliments. Guess it's hard to tell but I'm OCD when it comes to being neat. :grin:

DaveB

haha, I was gonna ask if you used seed tapes to get such straight lines.

I used to use an 8-foot 1" diameter round piece of pine to keep my rows straight.

The_Utility_Dude

Mushroom compost is the "stuff" commercial growers grow the white mushrooms you see in grocery stores. As I understand it, it consists of horse manure and hay-ground up into a powder and sterilized so it has no weed seeds. You can make your own compost but it takes a lot to fill bed initially that's why I used the mushroom compost. I'm making my own compost to replenish the beds. I expect most any place that sell mulch would have it. Most in east TN do anyway. I bought mine from Newport Sand and Gravel. $42 per ton. Took about $125 to fill all my beds but you don't have to fertilize at all so that offsets the cost somewhat.

redblood

The_Utility_Dude said:
Been doing the traditional garden thing for years and years. My brother talked me into trying the raised beds last year. I'll never go the traditional garden route again. I couldn't believe just how much more these beds produce compared to traditional gardening. The mushroom compost helps a lot.

Thanks for all the compliments. Guess it's hard to tell but I'm OCD when it comes to being neat. :grin:

looks good

The_Utility_Dude

Andy S. said:
Looks awesome, congrats on all of your hard work. How big of area is fenced in? Just trying to get a perspective on the scale.

Overall dimensions are 22X45. I have two 2X10 beds, two 4X8, two 3X20 and one 4X36. One of the 2X10 beds is not in the pic. I also have a 4X36 bed next to my carport.

Latest posts