Food Plots Questions, Concerns, and Comments

PcDeer

First off I have always been one of those guys who plants clover in the fall along side oats and wheat with the intentions of allowing the clover to really come out in the spring through the summer until I disk and repeat. This year I have an exceptional 2 acre plot of durana clover that I can't decide what to do with. On one hand I can spray the few weeds that have come up and stick with a straight durana plot for a second year (something I've never done). Or I can do what I always do and disk it in and plant both mine and the property's deer favorite combination of buck forage oats, winter wheat, and clover. I've also considered top sowing the plot which seems like the easiest and smartest thing to do. I have never top sown anything so I am worried about wheat and oats seed thriving from top sowing. The already established clover plot looks really good and the deer are really utilizing it. With all of that being said,my question is what would you guys do with this plot?

Boll Weevil

Noooooooo...don't disk it in!! If you've got a good stand of Durana keep it!!

Like tickweed says, it's a long-lived clover with very little maintenance. Clethodim or sethoxydim to control grasses. Mow or 2,4D-B to control broadleaf.

PcDeer

Haha I was hoping to get that advice. Like I said I've always "been that guy" and I've always done it just to keep oats and wheat in the mix. I'll spray with clethodim this week and let it stand. Couple more questions, should I wait until fall to hit it with fertilizer and lime or go ahead and do it any time? And lastly whats yalls take on top sowing oats or maybe turnips? I am skeptical about top sowing oats because of seed size but maybe a turnip would work well? Thanks a lot for all the advice!

drrxnupe

I am in the same bind as you...I have a nice stand of WTI Imperial and ladino clover but I want to make sure I add something for the fall/winter. I was think of top sowing rye grain and forage radishes into the clover???

Boll Weevil

The only thing I'd watch for regarding when to lime/fertilize is dormancy; durana will go dormant if it turns dry during the hottest part of the summer. It'll look dead but it's not...just alseep. Slightly cooler temps combined with rain and it bounces right back and begins putting on new growth again for fall and winter. That's when I typically fertilize. Of course last year, mine stayed green all summer with all the rain we had so it's not always certain to go dormant.

Personally, I wouldn't sow anything else in it...just maintain a healthy clover stand as best you can. 2 acres is some serious tonnage of great food if you can sustain it. In addition to longevity, two other benefits of this variety is ability to compete well against weeds/grasses and nearly year-round green under all but the harshest conditions. I have a little over 6 acres scattered about the farm and maintain it by simply mowing and feeding it a little every so often.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you.

hitek7

Is the only area you have you can plant, is that the problem? If I had more space, I would definetly leave the clover and plant your oats and wheat of to the side or end of the clover. The clover will be your hunting friend at the beginning of the season but not as much as the season goes on.

drrxnupe

hitek7 said:
Is the only area you have you can plant, is that the problem? If I had more space, I would definetly leave the clover and plant your oats and wheat of to the side or end of the clover. The clover will be your hunting friend at the beginning of the season but not as much as the season goes on.

This is why I am considering top sowing cereal grains. We're gun hunters and we generally don't hunt til late November and early December. Not to mention, I've been hearing rave reviews on the LC mix method on QDMA.

http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25851

BSK

You can top-sow cereal grains into clover with good success. Just realize you won't get quite the same germination rate you would from normal planting techniques. So increase your seeding rate a bit to compensate. Normally, when top-sowing cereal grains, I increase the seeding rate 50% above what is recommended for normal planting techniques.

Latest posts