Food Plots Planting sequence questions for no-tillers

JCDEERMAN

Mine are about 95% weeds/grass, 5% what I planted. :mad:
It is frustrating. Ours may be closer to 80% weeds. A few fields, it was all I could do to pick out the soybeans. I could see some of the buckwheat, sunn hemp and sorghum. I was willing to sacrifice those species for the survival of the soybeans - planted at 75 lbs/acre so they are there. Wanted to nuke weeds before they went to seed. That will hopefully give the soybeans 7-10 weeks to shoot up and bush out (optimistically). If that happens, we will just drill straight through the soybeans. I'm sure spot spraying here and there

Bucket

Good info. Now I just have to figure out how to identify ragweed and see if my fields have any.
Ragweed:
ragweed.jpg

4scout

This may be a little off topic but I see that several of you all have planted soybeans. I planted soybeans in my food plot for the first time along with Milo and mixed in type S innoculant as recommended for the soybeans. Do you fertilize them at anytime? I read not to fertilize if used the innoculant.

megalomaniac

This may be a little off topic but I see that several of you all have planted soybeans. I planted soybeans in my food plot for the first time along with Milo and mixed in type S innoculant as recommended for the soybeans. Do you fertilize them at anytime? I read not to fertilize if used the innoculant.
Soybeans don't really need nitrogen... but they still need P and K depending on results of soil test to do well.

Normally I don't fertilize until my planting comes up and I'm sure I have a good stand. This summer, I went ahead and fertilized at the time of planting to the tune of 1500lbs, because we never go 2 weeks without rain end of May, and lots of rain was in the forecast. But no rain, so a lot of my fertilize evaporated 😞

4scout

Soybeans don't really need nitrogen... but they still need P and K depending on results of soil test to do well.

Normally I don't fertilize until my planting comes up and I'm sure I have a good stand. This summer, I went ahead and fertilized at the time of planting to the tune of 1500lbs, because we never go 2 weeks without rain end of May, and lots of rain was in the forecast. But no rain, so a lot of my fertilize evaporated 😞
Thanks for the info. Sorry you didn't get any rain on your plot. Hope mine isn't flooded out with all of the recent rain. Seems like it's either too dry or too wet!

Latest posts