Question for the Bream Reaper

Dbllunger

Hey Ruger, I was thinking about getting some of the 1" gulp minnows in the jar and giving them a shot on my local waters. Usually just a cricket guy but they aren't always easy to come by. Do you have a favorite "go to" color or does it really seem to matter with that type of bait? Jig head size? Anyone welcome to answer but I knew this was more his specialty than pretty much the rest of us.

Tenntrapper

Hey Ruger, I was thinking about getting some of the 1" gulp minnows in the jar and giving them a shot on my local waters. Usually just a cricket guy but they aren't always easy to come by. Do you have a favorite "go to" color or does it really seem to matter with that type of bait? Jig head size? Anyone welcome to answer but I knew this was more his specialty than pretty much the rest of us.
Well, he told me the "smelt" color was what he used...and put it on one of the little trout magnet jig heads.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Smelt is my go to.
I have some other colors but honestly I haven't really seen the success with them as I do the smelt.
1/64th ounce trout magnet jig head.
Gold and nickel are my two favorites.

I love them.
Catch the fire out of crappie as well.
99 times out of 100 I use a slow steady retrieve.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Your patients are going to hate you. Gulp smell stays with you for a while. You're going to need to double glove for a while otherwise you'll churn a bunch of customers.
Yeah I should have mentioned two things and @WTM can confirm.
When you are done fishing, take the minnow off your hook. If not you will have to cut it off.
The juice they are in tastes like CRAP !!!!!!!!!

WTM

Yeah I should have mentioned two things and @WTM can confirm.
When you are done fishing, take the minnow off your hook. If not you will have to cut it off.
The juice they are in tastes like CRAP !!!!!!!!!
yep. after using them for a dozen years youd think id remember. nope. had to cut a waxie and a minnow off last week. an exacto knife is your friend until you gash open a thumb like i did, lol.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Do you have any certain approach for spooling up to keep knots and messes at a minimum.
Running the line under hot water helps a little.
Don't fill it TOO full.

With that being said, the first couple trips be prepared to cut the mess out and start over.
After a bit of time it seems to stop being an issue.

Pain in the butt for sure, but for me personally, the benefit outweighs the pia.

Pilchard

Running the line under hot water helps a little.
Don't fill it TOO full.

With that being said, the first couple trips be prepared to cut the mess out and start over.
After a bit of time it seems to stop being an issue.

Pain in the butt for sure, but for me personally, the benefit outweighs the pia.
Next time you spool up a reel, idle your boat Fwd and let your new line out behind the boat with nothing tied on. No weight, hook or anything.

After you get about 15 feet of line out, the resistance from the water will start taking your line off the reel.

Let out almost all of the line and then close your bail and drag it for a few seconds and then reel it in. This will remove all of the twists and you won't have the trouble you describe.

Hduke86

Next time you spool up a reel, idle your boat Fwd and let your new line out behind the boat with nothing tied on. No weight, hook or anything.

After you get about 15 feet of line out, the resistance from the water will start taking your line off the reel.

Let out almost all of the line and then close your bail and drag it for a few seconds and then reel it in. This will remove all of the twists and you won't have the trouble you describe.
This is what I do all the time when on the water and it helps tremendously.

Black Titan

I like the red label too, but use it as a leader on 20lb yellow PowerPro braid for my finesse rig. Fluorocarbon is amazing to feel the bite and get your lure down. Doesn't float like mono. I have a worm rod setup with Seagar Tatsu. It's not as bad as the red label with coils and what not. I spray mine down with KVD line conditioner to keep it softened up.

BT

Dbllunger

Had no idea. Thanks!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

First time I saw that done was with @rsimms when stretch and I were whacking bream after a catfish trip.
I had totally forgot about it.

WTM

Where you catching all these bream, Ruger?
the CIA recruited some hard core bluegill and shellcracker fishermen one time. figured since they could keep all those spots secret then theyd make good agents. it didnt work out. during debrief they wouldnt give up the intelligence they had gathered.

Latest posts