Purchasing 1st LADDER Stand

Union Co. Boy

I hunt out of a Muddy Boss Hawg. It's a great stand for a big guy. We have several Big Denali stands by Hawk as well. Can't go wrong with either, but the Muddy is the Cadillac of the two. The Big Denali is taller, but I give the Muddy the edge on comfort and a huge platform as well as flip up seat.

Headhunter

I've got ladder stand that have been up year-round for 20 years. Straps break!

I try to get around to every stand every year and check the condition of all straps, but sometimes wear can't be easily seen. Although I'm not as concerned with 2-person ladders, as they all have to two ratchet straps, but the single-person ladders with single straps are a concern. Had a strap break on a single-person ladder just as a hunter was lining up a shot on a nice buck. Luckily, ladder didn't fall. But was a pretty scary experience for the hunter when the ladder seat suddenly dropped a foot just as he was raising his gun.
I don't understand. I don't care how many the straps the stand comes with, ALL my stands get extra straps. I buy many extra ratchet straps, buying extra ratchet straps is a small price to insure safety. No way am I getting in any ladder stand that only has 1 ratchet strap where the seat is. I also purchase some way larger capacity straps and each stand gets one of those along with 2 or 3 or more ratchet straps. On top of not wanting to have any ratchet strap issues, I will not use a stand that makes any noise. And all straps are checked every year and any bolted parts are checked to be tight every year. Between KY and TN, I keep up "maintenance" on right at 50 stands. Also, I am now using climbing sticks more and more, but all climbing sticks have the straps they came with plus 3 extra ratchet straps and lock on stands get extra straps also.

As far as hanging ladder stands by your lonesome, so long you can the ladder stand up and into a comfortable position, before it is raised, hang longer straps from the platform and attach to something solid closer to the ground once the ladder is up, I will do this even when having extra people to hold the ladder, ratchet strapping the seat/platform of the ladder stand to something closer to the ground, goes along with the stabilizing bar being strapped to the tree and the X straps. Then you can climb up and safely attach the top of the stand to the tree.

Last edited:

Speedwell-Hunter

I don't understand. I don't care how many the straps the stand comes with, ALL my stands get extra straps. I buy many extra ratchet straps, buying extra ratchet straps is a small price to insure safety. No way am I getting in any ladder stand that only has 1 ratchet strap where the seat is. I also purchase some way larger capacity straps and each stand gets one of those along with 2 or 3 or more ratchet straps. On top of not wanting to have any ratchet strap issues, I will not use a stand that makes any noise. And all straps are checked every year and any bolted parts are checked to be tight every year. Between KY and TN, I keep up "maintenance" on right at 50 stands. Also, I am now using climbing sticks more and more, but all climbing sticks have the straps they came with plus 3 extra ratchet straps and lock on stands get extra straps also.

As far as hanging ladder stands by your lonesome, so long you can the ladder stand up and into a comfortable position, before it is raised, hang longer straps from the platform and attach to something solid closer to the ground once the ladder is up, I will do this even when having extra people to hold the ladder, ratchet strapping the seat/platform of the ladder stand to something closer to the ground, goes along with the stabilizing bar being strapped to the tree and the X straps. Then you can climb up and safely attach the top of the stand to the tree.
50 stands, my LORD, how many stands an acre do you average? UNREAL

Latest posts