PSA For Rut

tellico4x4

Every year there's a lot of folks asking about what stage rut is in where they hunt. In 2017 I started putting every instance of rut action for my area in my phone calendar & set it up as an annual reoccurring event.
I have notifications setup for 10 days, 5 days & 1 day prior. Included is scrape activity ( open, cold, re-open, does, young bucks, mature, etc), cruising, chasing ( young & mature), fawns by themselves, whatever indicators are important to you. I also include WHERE mature activity occurs as it usually repeats itself for big bucks in those areas each year.
Past couple of weeks my phone has been blowing up with notifications and they are spot on for my place. I intend to keep doing it from here on out. I'm in a club and also include info that some of others share with me that they have witnessed or seeing on cams.
Makes it easy for us old guys inflicted with CRS!

BSK

I love to read stuff like this tellico4x4!

I realize I am somewhat unique in my need for "pattern recognition" type information, but I can't be the only one. As you pointed out, on a particular property, deer cycle through their biological processes on about the same dates every year. That doesn't mean some weird environmental condition can't change that for a single year, but in "normal" conditions, deer will be doing the same things on the same dates each year. Start tracking these dates, and using that information to plan hunting times and tactics, and your success rate will certainly climb.

Latest posts