Providing water for Deer w/ these dry conditions?

lpo1981

Is anybody providing water for there deer in these dry conditions? I'm wondering if were going to turn into a repeat of 2007 with a drought. Had a little rain here the last few days but not enough to amount to anything. I've been thinking of setting up a water trough for my deer. Creek dried up 3 weeks ago and there's no water source around my property for a few miles.

BSK

lpo1981 said:
Creek dried up 3 weeks ago and there's no water source around my property for a few miles.

Just remember that deer get most of their water from the plants they eat. Deer can survive just fine without any standing water at all.

Rubberduck270

If my pond dries up completely I'll water them. As dry as it is now my artificial water source may be the only water source for miles come September.

lpo1981

Well I wondered if I put fresh water every 5 days in the trough if that would lessen the chance of disease. I've been researching it and seems like a lot of people do it w/ success.

BSK

Rubberduck270 said:
If my pond dries up completely I'll water them. As dry as it is now my artificial water source may be the only water source for miles come September.

Just as long as you are creating stagnant water sources. You could actually end up doing more harm than good.

PickettSFHunter

Ive fixed up my spring to run into a small waterhole and its pumping 400 gallons per day through there, constant flow keeps it fresh. Its very evident by tracks they are using it, I plan on getting a camera on it this weekend.

Mr.Bro

I dont understand how adding water sources will concentrate the deer more.As of 2 weeks ago there were very few water sources available around my farms.The more water sources the less they will be concentrated.

Stagnant water? Anywhere around south Christian county,if you have water its stagnant.Little River is 1/2 mile from on of my farms and it aint moving.

Ill continue to put out my 20 gal buckets of water.

Latest posts