Water tanks

BSK

I would much rather see managers use metal cattle tanks or plastic fish ponds buried in the ground versus small ponds/water holes dug with a dozer. The midges that spread EHD breed in the mud around the edges of stagnant water, like you get with a natural pond/water hole. I doubt you would see that around a cattle tank.

That said, are water holes essential? No. Deer survive just fine without any standing water. Are they useful/helpful? Oh yes. Deer will definitely take advantage of them in dry conditions.

Ski

I've had excellent experience with them, albeit a learning curve. Aside from a pile of corn, I've not seen anything else attract so much attention from literally every critter in the forest. First time I put one in and hung a camera it was like watching the discovery channel. Vultures, coyotes, deer, raccoons, squirrels, frogs, foxes, bobcats, everything.

I'm a bit partial to water tanks so I apologize if this becomes a long winded post. In my experience it's all about location. My first was a failure. I put it next to a plot and although it was a busy spot, it got the same activity as the plot, at the same time. Much of the deer activity was nighttime.

My second attempt was 150yds down a ridge from a plot. I hoped it would be a hotspot for cruising bucks. Turned out lackluster. Activity was almost exclusively bucks but was too random to predict for hunting. It was nowhere near doe bedding and does rarely if ever went out of their way to visit it. Lessons learned.

Third time was a charm. I placed it along a travel corridor that stretched from buck bedding, past doe bedding before reaching a destination plot. The line starts at a scrape just below buck bedding, 200yds to a mineral site, 50yds more to a scrape beside the water tank, then 150yds to the plot. There's always one or two scrapes open up in that last 150yds as well. Doe bedding is in a briar thicket on a flat just above overlooking the water tank. Heading to and from the plot, the does congregate at the water for several minutes as fawns play and every deer takes a drink. Naturally, bucks stop for a visit as they cruise past doe bedding and plot, and it happens any time of day or night all season long, nearly daily. 3yrs straight I have killed or seen a big mature buck going to or from that water tank.

I'm planning for at least two more tanks this off season. They have become a staple habitat feature for me. That said, the properties they're on don't have local water sources. It's hill country with seasonal creeks in the bottoms. The closest water to the nearest tank is a pond half mile away. I've never seen a deer at the pond.

In short, yes they're an awesome feature that will get used by deer. How often and how predictable will depend on where you put it. If it's in a plot then it'll get used when the plot gets used. If it's convenient to doe bedding so they can hit it at their leisure, or on their way to and from, then my bet is you'll have a gold mine.

Ski

Yes I use 100-150gal plastic tanks buried.

Attachments

• 20221116_125931.jpg
    20221116_125931.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20221028_203814.jpg
    20221028_203814.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20221028_155531.jpg
    20221028_155531.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 74

Rockhound

My plot is actually 6 acres in the middle of a jungle. Left side is 7 year old pines, right side is 10 year old clear cut. So bedding is surrounding it. In my mind it may be another feature to maybe draw that hot doe out or that tired buck when he's dogging the cutover for does.

Ski

Here are a couple right after installing. Remember to have a critter stick to let small animals escape.

Attachments

• 20200726_122614.jpg
    20200726_122614.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190607_135023.jpg
    20190607_135023.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 73

Ski

My plot is actually 6 acres in the middle of a jungle. Left side is 7 year old pines, right side is 10 year old clear cut. So bedding is surrounding it. In my mind it may be another feature to maybe draw that hot doe out or that tired buck when he's dogging the cutover for does.

Eh, I can't speak much to putting one inside a plot. But I'll sure be interested in following along for updates!

Ski

What equipment do you use to fill your tanks Ski?

I've got a 40gal plastic drum that I ratchet strap into the UTV. Takes a few trips back and forth to top off a tank but it's not really hard work. I'll get better pics to document how I do it when I'm doing it again this winter or spring.

I've also never had to refill one until this season. One particular tank got used so much that I had to refill it twice during October. Last time it was refilled, a big 10pt shooter was in it an hour later, broad daylight 2pm. I was worried the commotion and intrusion like that in last week of October would potentially be detrimental to the hunting, but it wasn't. Deer didn't mind a bit.

BSK

I was worried the commotion and intrusion like that in last week of October would potentially be detrimental to the hunting, but it wasn't. Deer didn't mind a bit.
I never cease to be amazed at what hunter-wary deer will ignore as long as they don't perceive it as a threat. I run cameras 6 months out of the year and visit each camera via ATV weekly. Eventually the deer become completely acclimated to that activity. I may push them away from the camera as I drive up, but they're back in front of the camera an hour later. And that includes scrapes I have to drive back into the woods to get to.

String Music

They really enhance hunting locations and are great spots for trail cameras. I like hanging a scrape vine beside them as well. You will need a tank to keep them filled up (I use a 330 gallon IBC tank which is what I also use for my "mobile" food plot watering system). I have a couple 100 gallon tanks that I filled the first of October and there is still plenty of water. I did pick up a 150 gallon tank that I plan to use as well. The tanks and IBC totes can all be found on Facebook Marketplace.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 61
  • buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 56
  • scrape.jpg
    scrape.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 58

Ski

Great drop tine buck! And good tip on that IBC tote. Gotta get me one of those!

I also noticed the dirt in your dry tank. I had either read or saw that recommendation on a video but dismissed it as nonsense. It was a mistake. I didn't do it with my first water tank and even though deer would come to investigate, they wouldn't drink. It actually looked like they were repulsed by it. I was worried that I had wasted all that effort on a gimmick. Then I remembered the dirt I was supposed to add, added it, and almost immediately deer began drinking.

I suspect it's because the water came from a tap and hose so it probably had some chemical the deer were nervous about. Or maybe it's a pH issue. I don't really know. Whatever the reason, there's 100% difference once dirt is added. I've not skipped that step again lol

BSK

I also noticed the dirt in your dry tank. I had either read or saw that recommendation on a video but dismissed it as nonsense. It was a mistake. I didn't do it with my first water tank and even though deer would come to investigate, they wouldn't drink. It actually looked like they were repulsed by it. I was worried that I had wasted all that effort on a gimmick. Then I remembered the dirt I was supposed to add, added it, and almost immediately deer began drinking.

I suspect it's because the water came from a tap and hose so it probably had some chemical the deer were nervous about. Or maybe it's a pH issue. I don't really know. Whatever the reason, there's 100% difference once dirt is added. I've not skipped that step again lol
That is fascinating information.

mbader5

I think it can be specific to the area and habitat. My dad has similar-sized tanks buried flush in NY but they get a lot of rain and the deer don't use them that much. There are small wallows, beaver ponds, creeks and streams that run all fall. This is my first summer in TN, but it's considerably drier here than in Upstate NY. I think it makes sense that they would be much more beneficial in TN, especially if it's a limited resource in your area.

Latest posts