Deer habitat improvement: Adding water tanks - does it work

FTG-05

On SC TN farm, there are only two natural water sources near me, a permanent pond to the south and a seasonal pond to the NE, about .4 of a mile apart. When the seasonal pond is dry, then the next closest location for natural water is a creek, another 1/4 mile or further away.

Hence, I would like to add a couple water tanks to my property for the wildlife, deer, turkey etc. I plan to use cut-in-half 55 gallon barrels laid on their sides. I'll refill using my tractor and a 30 gallon barrel. I plan to put two of them, and they would be located roughly halfway between the two ponds.

Has anyone else done this and, if so, was it worth it in terms of improving the deer and turkey habitat for them? Any other comments or suggestions.

BSK

Re: Deer habitat improvement: Adding water tanks - does it

First, deer get the vast majority of their water from the foods they eat. I've seen deer exist very nicely in areas with no free-standing water for great distances.

Second, stagnant water is a great place for the midges that transmit EHD to live and breed.

Personally, I would not create stagnant water sources for deer in TN.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

BSK,I have a small place the size of a basketball where water naturally runs.I have also considered digging this out with a shovel.would you leave this alone as well.

BSK

I don't think access to water is a major concern for management purposes. I rarely give water access any consideration when designing a habitat plan.

Mike Belt

If you lived and hunted in an arid location I'd say you might be headed in the right direction. Hunting anywhere in the mid south and I'd say you were going through a lot of work with absolutely 0 results.

BSK

Mike Belt":3reln40i said:
If you lived and hunted in an arid location I'd say you might be headed in the right direction.

Even then, I'm not so sure. I've seen deer doing exceptionally well in arid south and west TX where there is no free-standing water for many, many miles.

FTG-05

I've changed my plan a little bit. Instead of putting in some water tanks/barrels, I'm going to build a small farm pond at the bottom of my hill. I'm hoping the local NRCS rep will help me with advice etc. A good project for my Kubota.

I also have a non-op hot tub that I'm going to strip and then install near a food plot I plan to have in the middle of my woods.

MickThompson

A hot tub is the last thing I would bury in my woods. Steep slick sides= drowned wildlife, and then your deer are drinking (or not using) water with carcasses rotting in it. Ponds holding water are 50/50 even on good pond sites, and expensive to build. A deer's home range is commonly as large as a sq mi- 640 acres. If I had the time/money/acres, I would focus on meaningful habitat management instead of trying to address something that your deer already have access to within their home ranges.

Football Hunter

MickThompson":1b3rsls2 said:
A hot tub is the last thing I would bury in my woods. Steep slick sides= drowned wildlife, and then your deer are drinking (or not using) water with carcasses rotting in it. Ponds holding water are 50/50 even on good pond sites, and expensive to build. A deer's home range is commonly as large as a sq mi- 640 acres. If I had the time/money/acres, I would focus on meaningful habitat management instead of trying to address something that your deer already have access to within their home ranges.
Good point Mick,that could drown some!

FTG-05

I already thought of that: I plan to fill the bottom so it's only 1-2 feet deep. Apparently, repurposing these old hot tubs is a pretty common thing, including water tanks, wildlife watering holes etc etc etc; not a whole lot of reports of killing animals (mice and ground squirrels excepted, hence the use of tree branches for them to get out). Plus the fact that I've got to get rid of the dang thing, I don't plan to ever use it; well, for it's original use that is. :fart:

So far everyone has stated that a water hole/pond is not that useful or it's not that positive but I have not heard anyone say it's a negative in terms of habitat improvement. The rest is just value judgement on the use of my time. I'm retired, doing stuff like this is what I do for fun.

Football Hunter

BSK":vi7nz86y said:
First, deer get the vast majority of their water from the foods they eat. I've seen deer exist very nicely in areas with no free-standing water for great distances.

Second, stagnant water is a great place for the midges that transmit EHD to live and breed.

Personally, I would not create stagnant water sources for deer in TN.
Think you might have missed this about it becoming a breeding ground for EHD.....

Latest posts