Profiling (consistent) Big Buck Hunters

JCDEERMAN

156p&y said:
JCDEERMAN said:
I have hunted the most prime area in TN and killed a mature buck every year with little effort. For goodness sake, I was 15-18 years old. But we got kicked off that lease killing 115-150" deer every year for that 4 years. The lease "managers" wanted money from people that wouldn't hunt much. We hunted consistently and when they saw us driving out of the gate one morning (my dad and I) with a 115" and 150" deer killed 45 minutes apart within 100 yards of each other, they kicked us off. I hunted every weekend and every day I got out of football practice (high school). I killed a number or deer between 120-130" from that place and missed/couldnt find numerous others. From 2002 till this day, I have hunted Hickman county. Not only are there not as big of deer there as there are in Williamson, but these specific deer just don't grow nearly as big of deer, nor the numbers of mature deer. That's unfortunate to me. Personally, I feel I have 3/4 the skill to do that consistently, but I don't have the hunting area, nor the mature buck numbers to do that where I hunt now....Not to mention the time! I work in the corporate world and cant get out when I NEED to. There is nothing I can do about that. That's why in whatever post I stated previously, it is #1 where you hunt, #2 flexibility on time and #3 being there when it matters.

I agree with jcdeerman. You can't kill what is not there. But you can also over hunt a particular deer and push him out. I would say that 90% of the big deer I have killed have been targeted in a 50 acre area, but the most important part is to hunt when the conditions are right only. And that comes down to being able to hunt when the time permits which my job does.

I will also say on jcdeerman's part that he needs to scout even when the wife is home! :D

Like this afternoon!!!

:D :D wish I could have gone yesterday evening. Trying to score some points before the season starts :grin: . Let me know in the next few days

156p&y

Okay, but your gonna have to start peeling grapes for dinner to earn enough points before deer season. I just figured I'd call you out before all the guys on here to get your butt in gear. It's scouting time man!

JCDEERMAN

Headhunter said:
I almost never scout and when I do it is mostly on my way in and out while hunting. Scouting is overrated.

The "scouting" he is referencing above could be better described as "glassing". It is more of a hobby for us in late summer. Done it for several years. Driving around in the evening seeing what we see, sometimes getting some video.

Poleaxe

I have to partially disagree with the article. I think if you gave 20 hunters from tndeer 20 different tracks of land holding trophy deer, I bet 15 would come out successful.

Instead of the long read of what trophy hunters consist of it shouldve just said $$$$$$$$$$$$$. With money you have access therefore you will have the time. Therefore with success you will have the passion and drive. Without $ how can you keep such consistent land that produces so many trophies?

BowGuy84

Only thing I think that is really missing in this (although the elitism is incorrect) is that big buck hunters find and get permission to big buck properties.

Some pay, some hustle, but they all get permission in areas others don't.

I've landed around 500 acres on 5 different properties here around Louisville in recent years. I've put in countless hours on them, and have some big deer to hunt each year as a result. For example, here is a buck I got on camera 2 weeks ago. I've since lost access to this property, but got permision on 46 more acres adjacent to a park.

Other bucks from here these properties this year (last winter I had 4 bigger than these on camera that haven't shown yet)

BSK

I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access. And without question, those things can make a huge difference. However, there really are some hunters that are so skilled they can pull it off on land everyone has permission to hunt.

An by the way, I don't consider those who kill big bucks ONLY because of their private land access to be good or skilled hunters. They MIGHT be, but their private land successes prove nothing.

TheLBLman

BSK said:
I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access.
So very true.

Amazing how so many are so quick to "divide" us into groups of "haves" and "haves not". MANY, MANY of the big bucks killed each year are taken on public land by hunters who prefer the public just erroneously assume they were taken on non-public land.

Speaking of which, much of the public land in many regions (including parts of TN) is actually better than much of the private land in many other regions.

MattR

BSK said:
I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access. And without question, those things can make a huge difference. However, there really are some hunters that are so skilled they can pull it off on land everyone has permission to hunt.

An by the way, I don't consider those who kill big bucks ONLY because of their private land access to be good or skilled hunters. They MIGHT be, but their private land successes prove nothing.
Wes Parrish said:
BSK said:
I think many, many are discounting the fact that some big buck killers do it, every year, on public land. Everyone seems to want to believe it's all about time/money/access.
So very true.

Amazing how so many are so quick to "divide" us into groups of "haves" and "haves not". MANY, MANY of the big bucks killed each year are taken on public land by hunters who prefer the public just erroneously assume they were taken on non-public land.

Speaking of which, much of the public land in many regions (including parts of TN) is actually better than much of the private land in many other regions.

Bingo!

Latest posts