Private land drama

moondawg

I talked to my inlaws that let me hunt on their land. I haven't been hunting due to certain circumstances, but asked them if I could come out in the next week or so. They said sure, no problem, come on out.

HOWEVER...they told me that they have a cousin who lives next door (about 200 yds away), who has been going on his own land shooting guns, and scaring away the deer. :shock: He did this a couple of weeks ago when one of the other inlaws went hunting. There is a dirt road that divides the field we hunt. The east side is the inlaws' and the west side is the cousin's. Apparently he is doing the shooting on his side, scaring the the deer. I suppose he's well within his rights to do whatever on his own land, as much as it sucks for us on ours.

I'm sure this is hunter harassment. I'm sure we and the inlaws could get the landowner (the grandpa) to talk to the cousin about it. In fact, one of the inlaws' kids (who's not even a hunter) was going to say something to the cousin, or get grandpa to say something. But there's also that chance that the grandpa won't get in a family squabble and might not let anyone hunt there anymore. It's his land, he can certainly do that, and I kinda wouldn't blame him. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.

I don't have high hopes for the next time I hunt out there.

rem270

Any way to park your truck where he can't see it that way he won't know you're there? And if he is shooting it may help you instead of hurt you.

Doubt he can get hunter harassment just by shooting. Unless he just flat out admits he's only shooting to try to screw you up.

redblood

been in a similar situation. easy solution. find a church 3-5 miles away or so and park your truck, bring a bike with you . ride your bike to the hunting spot. he wont harass you, if he don't know that you are there

BSK

Rockhound":2e9jodqf said:
We shoot alot... sometimes we have to stop so we don't hit the deer that cross in front of us. I wouldn't let it bother me.

This.

One of my neighbors is a high-dollar duck club. During duck season, it sounds like a Civil War reenactment is going on just yards from my property line. I've watched deer go about their business, and pay no attention to the cannonade, more times than I can count. Surrounding gun-fire does not necessarily scare deer.

TX300mag

Secondary gunfire has very little effect on them from my experience.

I was watching a group of deer feed this year in a thick creek bottom. I probably heard 10 shots of which the paid no mind to at all. BUT, a 4-wheeler started up in the distance on another property (no idea where) and they all went to high alert mode instantly. I was surprised-apparently they pay more attention to them than I thought.

moondawg

I got to thinking about the gunfire thing. I remember one of the inlaws saying that people shoot guns all the time out there. Some of the inlaws and I go out to sight in rifles before the season. Sometimes during hunting season, just to check. So...I suppose the gun shooting in itself isn't a problem. The timing, like during actual hunting hours, might be a little suspect., IMO. But nothing I can do about it.

I've been out before, just to visit. So maybe he'll leave me alone.

catman529

Someone on an adjacent property was shooting a rifle throughout yesterday afternoon, but it was myself who spooked the herd of ghost like deer. I still managed to shoot one even after hitting a tree trunk on the first shot, they were fairly naive to the gunfire

Sent from the talk of tap