prime rib recommendation??

huntinkev

I got a standing rib roast and wanting to cook up a prime rib. recommendations??? method, recipe, cook time...all the above

mike243

feathersandfur2214":2gt888q6 said:
Some may disagree but i would season it up and smoke it. They turn out amazing !
Yep smoke it to rare then slice and grill hot to fit the preference of each person,I like med rare ,wife likes heavenly ,cooked the hell out of it :lol: about 2 hrs with smoke around 200 off of direct heat

huntinkev

Alright I can do that, have a pellet smoker I have had for 2 years and hardly use it. Normally pull out the big smoker.

What about seasoning up? Just basic salt and pepper and maybe some garlic or what?

JimFromTN

Invest in a meat thermometer. They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to prime rib. Nothing worse than slicing into a prime rib and its medium well.

TAFKAP

JimFromTN":27rhyuq3 said:
Invest in a meat thermometer. They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to prime rib. Nothing worse than slicing into a prime rib and its medium well.

Yep....and it takes no time to jump from just right to WAYYYYY too done.

Pull it at 120°, no matter how else you prepare it.

Also, generously salt it at least a day beforehand to ensure the salt distributes throughout the meat.

spoon

Rub Salt, pepper, garlic salt and herbs heavy all over. As others have said get a good meat thermometer. Preheat oven to 500 degrees insert meat and cook for 20 minutes then turn oven off. Remove at 125°Cover and let rest for 15-20 mins

smalljawbasser

With a prime rib, you want to cook it long enough for the marbling to melt. I like to cook them on 250* to 125-135* internal (that make take several hours, you can probably Google approximate cook times so you can hit your intended supper time). Then let stand for about 30-45 minutes. It'll drift 5-8* higher as it rests. I like Montreal steak, or just salt and pepper. I also agree that you can dry age it for a week and make a difference.

BamaProud

I think I may let this one dry for a full month. I trimmed a lot more surface fat than I have in the past and scraped the bones thinking that will allow for more efficient moisture loss.

20160117_133214_zpsihp5ktpg.jpg

GOODWIN

BamaProud":242ttlov said:
This is aged 20 days today. Plan on cooking it Super Bowl Sunday aged 23 days.
077de3fd-d538-4fcf-be49-3e4872e1a667_zpsfkh6wgms.jpg

Its already lost 17.3% of its original Weight....it may push 20% by Sunday.

So how's it lookin?

Latest posts