Price of a new boat….. wowza!

kckndrgn

The wife and I just went to the Mid-South Sports, Boat & RV show Friday night. Walked in at pontoon section, looked at the first price tag and was like "why, just why?" It was over $150k. Walking around looking at some of the boats and RV's and I noticed it was cheaper to get an RV than a boat.
I had a hard time justifying the $30k we paid for on a new RV last fall, no way I could think about $100K plus on a boat, just wouldn't use it enough.

A boat is just a hole in the water that you toss money into.

BuckWild

Not right now. We built a boat at the end of 2020 (2021 year model) and could sell it today for more than we paid. Makes no sense but that's where the market is.
Yea but this phenomena is gonna pass pretty quickly. I'm already seeing some boat prices coming down.
my neighbor is looking for a Tritoon and has been for a couple of months.

He texted me a week before the Nashville boat show and sent me a link to a tritoon at a local dealer.

24 foot, merc 250, loaded out, 2019 model with 47 hours for $56k.

I said you better call them quick. He called and they said it sold within an hour of being listed on FB marketplace.

We saw the same model boat at the Nashville boat show a week later and it was boat show special priced at $99k.

They are out there but you have to be quick and have funds on hand.

Two years ago if you called any dealership they were full MSRP and no dealing. Ask me how I know. LoL
And I had to drive to Louisville,KY to buy it.

Fishing boats are another story...but this too will pass.

Canyonfish

We were in the market for a new to us, pontoon, and look for four years until we found a nice 24 foot loaded up, late model one for sale. We were hoping for a 150 HP but it came with a 115 HP and we jumped right on it, just pre-Covid, and was blessed with being able to purchase it. It has doubled in value since we purchased it.

Boats have always been high cost for what they are, usually because it's a want instead of a need. We live on the lake and use ours a lot, but if we didn't have the ones we have now, we cannot justify the cost or afford one now, no matter how much we enjoy it.

It's crazy some of the stuff we see on the water now. 100k plus wakeboard boats, duel 200 or 300 hp Tritoons and high dollar tournament boats. On the little local tournaments seeing more and more Aluminum boats replacing the fiberglass bass boats, probably because of costs. I'm afraid we're seeing an unfortunate shift in America where only the rich can afford the enjoyment of a boat.

RobbyW

Boat from the Nashville boat show
5A315C3B-0C9D-4049-A8A3-FB4D5160D873.jpeg

hoghunter65

As long as people keep buying these toys at these huge prices they will just get worse, never thought I would see the day that a 200.00 30-30 would be worth a 1000.00.

Pilchard

Not right now. We built a boat at the end of 2020 (2021 year model) and could sell it today for more than we paid. Makes no sense but that's where the market is.
Been that way for a while now. I bought a new boat in 2017 for more than I want to admit publicly and sold it a year later for $35k more than I bought it for. I sold it to a buddy who just sold it again middle of last year for nearly $60k more than what he bought it from me for. He did repowered it with a new yami but still it almost doubled in price over a 5 year period.

BuckWild

Inventory is picking back up after Covid.

Went to a local dealer a month back and they had 53 2023 model year Tritoons on the lot and said they had 10 more coming in.
My friend just sent me a text yesterday with a used boat taken in on trade at a local dealer. 2020 24ft Trifecta RF 3.0 with a 250 Merc with 97 hours for $59.9k. Boat looks brand new. He's going to test drive it today.

That was a $90k + boat in 2020.

So it's dropped $30k in 97 hours or 3 years

Gravey

Been that way for a while now. I bought a new boat in 2017 for more than I want to admit publicly and sold it a year later for $35k more than I bought it for. I sold it to a buddy who just sold it again middle of last year for nearly $60k more than what he bought it from me for. He did repowered it with a new yami but still it almost doubled in price over a 5 year period.
Same here on what it cost. I called my brother before doing it and said "tell me how stupid this is" and his response was "y'all use it so go for it". Some people take a bunch of trips and do other things. We go to the lake as much as possible. Travel baseball cuts into that considerably but in a few years will be done. Boat values being up is just a bonus as you never buy one for an investment.

Latest posts