President's Island questions

tickweed

You are totally missing the point. milan allowed gun hunting, for years, draw hunts. Even with rifles, they didnt kill any really high scoring deer. Maybe a decent one, but rare. That area just doesnt produce the antler growth that the Mississippi River basin does. The whole point of hunters waiting years for the island is the remote chance at a higher than average scoring deer, even if it is bow only. lm glad milan is now offering hunts thru TWRA, but would l cash in my points for it? No. Back in the day,
Yes, but so has PI WMA.
In fact, there are private inholding on the same island as PI, AND most of the south side of PI is a private hunting club. These private land hunters on PI hunt the entire Unit L season, and they use rifles instead of archery.

PI has better potential for a top-end buck.
But as a hunter carrying a rifle instead of a bow on a weekend hunt,
a particular hunter may himself have a better opportunity at Milan.
This is especially the case if that hunter is not an ACCOMPLISHED bowhunter.

gobblesandgrunts

My question is, is the hunting at Milan good enough to skip the PI point and go hunt at Milan? I have always hear Milan had some great deer but I know absolutely no where to even begin with Milan. Any info is greatly appreciated.

tickweed

My question is, is the hunting at Milan good enough to skip the PI point and go hunt at Milan? I have always hear Milan had some great deer but I know absolutely no where to even begin with Milan. Any info is greatly appreciated.
how many points do you have for island? If you dont have many, then sure, pick any hunt you like. If you've been saving for years, got 9 or more, then no way. Reason being, PI is not a sure deal. It could end at any time.

gobblesandgrunts

how many points do you have for island? If you dont have many, then sure, pick any hunt you like. If you've been saving for years, got 9 or more, then no way. Reason being, PI is not a sure deal. It could end at any time.
We only have 1 priority point. I dont get that either. So say we applied for milan and didn't get it, will we ba able to use that point in the furer for pi?

TheLBLman

Just my opinion, but I think chance is better than not that PI will not be a WMA a decade from now. So for those with only a couple preference points or so, something to think about.

When I was drawn in 2016 (thinking I had at least 11 pref points), I did go ahead and apply in 2017 for PI simply because none of the other WMAs were appealing to me. Then I realized there was a fair chance I would be either dead or unable to hunt before I could possibly ever be drawn again, plus more than fair chance the PI WMA would cease to exist in the coming decade.

Every one of us is in a different situation, different location. My thinking is just look at these quota draw hunts as a "bonus" opportunity for which you can be drawn every other year. If you're young, an avid bowhunter, and don't find any these WMAs very appealing, then put in for PI. If I were younger and had never been there, that's what I would do.

Just weight it out.
Over the next 10 years, you're likely to be drawn for 5 or more weekend quota gun hunts if you don't hold out for PI. Most of the other WMA quota hunts can currently be had with a single preference point, sometimes no preference needed.

Truth is, much of the best WMA opportunity is on the non-quota hunts, and/or those WMA's with regs "same as statewide" simply because you can hunt them many days annually, and there is often less hunters on the non-quota than the quota hunts. So you may be forfeiting very little real opportunity by applying only for PI WMA over the next decade or so or until you get drawn there.

KeebMovin

I hunt a mix of private and public ground....I have 4 points built up and know that it takes 14 or more to get PI now. My goal in stacking them up was to hunt there. However, I am not sure it will be worth the wait. But I am not sure any other place is really worth burning the points over either. I mostly hunt in Unit L and sometime in unit CWD
I have 12 points this year. Do you guys think there is a chance I get drawn for Dec hunt?

Buzzard Breath

Truth is, much of the best WMA opportunity is on the non-quota hunts, and/or those WMA's with regs "same as statewide" simply because you can hunt them many days annually, and there is often less hunters on the non-quota than the quota hunts. So you may be forfeiting very little real opportunity by applying only for PI WMA over the next decade or so or until you get drawn there.
There's a whole lot of truth to this.

TheLBLman

I have 12 pts going into this year and plan to dump them for Milan.
If you're an avid bowhunter, I'd still advise you hunt PI this year.
You should be drawn this year or next.
Then you can be like me, tell others it wasn't really worth the wait.
You've already "paid" for the PI hunt via forfeiting so many others over 12 yrs.

Rackseeker

If you're an avid bowhunter, I'd still advise you hunt PI this year.
You should be drawn this year or next.
Then you can be like me, tell others it wasn't really worth the wait.
You've already "paid" for the PI hunt via forfeiting so many others over 12 yrs.
LOL... Wonder which hunt would be better for presidents island Oct or Dec. I guess weather would be the major factor. I would hate to give up a weekend in December with a rifle here at home to go to Presidents Island.