Presidents Island Post Flooding

Levee Jumper

Can anyone shed any light on Presidents Island since a portion of the center of the island has grown up due to the large flood back around 2010-2011. I was drawn for the hunt in a couple weeks and was curios if anyone had any insight on hunting the 7-8 year old brush/bushes that have grown up since the large sand deposits. I assume that a significant portion of the deer may escape to there at some point during the hunt if it is indeed as thick as I think it may be.

cbhunter

I have never set foot on the place but if I could get high enough in a tree to see into that stuff, I would be hunting there as well. They have to be using it for bedding/travel. My favorite place of all time to hunt is old grown up fields. Mostly what you will hear about presidents island is that its not even close to half the place it used to be. I reckon the floods and the fact that they don't plant crops anymore has really changed the place. There are still a few good deer killed there each year but nothing like it was pre floods. I cant believe no one has chimed in, a lot of guys here have hunted it. I guess they feel like they are beating a dead horse. LOL good luck and let us know how it goes.

Spurhunter

cbhunter":1tf0ngik said:
Mostly what you will hear about presidents island is that its not even close to half the place it used to be. I reckon the floods and the fact that they don't plant crops anymore has really changed the place. There are still a few good deer killed there each year but nothing like it was pre floods.

I'm currently at 10 points so I'm hoping it will recover from the flood before I get drawn. I didn't realize they aren't farming it anymore.

cbhunter

Spurhunter":12ho8hgf said:
cbhunter":12ho8hgf said:
Mostly what you will hear about presidents island is that its not even close to half the place it used to be. I reckon the floods and the fact that they don't plant crops anymore has really changed the place. There are still a few good deer killed there each year but nothing like it was pre floods.

I'm currently at 10 points so I'm hoping it will recover from the flood before I get drawn. I didn't realize they aren't farming it anymore.

Don't exactly hold me to that. I do believe that's what I remember reading. Its possible that they plant some of it but not all of it.

Thirty-06

I work in and around there and as far Is I know there's plenty of crops planted around. Especially Ensley bottoms part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyB

Spurhunter":3q7vyuwd said:
cbhunter":3q7vyuwd said:

Good luck to you when/if u get drawn.

Levee Jumper

Yeah I know they still are farming the majority of it. I think I stated the question poorly. In looking at aerials there appears to be around 400 acres that have grown up out in what used to be a bean field. Just was curious if anyone knew what it was grown up in. I thought that 8 yr. old willows may provide for a low lock on set where you could see better than on the ground. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Hawk

The sanded area is thicket with a combination of willow, scyamore, cottonwood & weeds. Lots of sign when I scouted it last year but I could not find a tree big enough to hang a stand.

cbhunter

I didn't mean to post bad information. I knew I had read that some of it used to be crops that isn't anymore and that sounds like the area you may be speaking of. Maybe i'll get to see it in 25 years or so :)

usanglure

Buy a Drone and carry with you, set a ground blind outset perimeter of that field................ use drone to herd them to you..................
but outside of that take a tri-pod on scout day, look for trails coming out and go inside and find crossing and set tripod in range...................... lots of bucks move there. LOTS...................

Bucket

A tripod is a good idea. I hunted the island 11 years ago and even in the mature timber it was hard to find a tree to climb. Huge vines were growing on most of them. Last morning of the hunt well before daylight I miraculously found a perfect tree for climbing in the area I wanted to hunt. When the sun came up I realized it was dead as a doornail. Slowly eased back down and relocated....

Levee Jumper

Good Info.... Kinda what I expected but was hopeful to be able to get 8-10' in a lock-on with some back cover.

easy45

I hunted it in 2014, that stretch your talking about is thick but covered in sign, I was also told by one of the TWRA guys that was working there that he had seen the biggest deer he had ever seen, anywhere, go into that stuff the day before the scout day. If you could find a lightweight tripod that you could carry in there then you might have the best spot on the place, there was nothing to put a stand on when I was there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts