Predator Hunting

Radar

Anyone do any predator hunting ? I have taken a couple of yotes when bowhunting , but never have hunted for them on purpose .

statelineRUT

Yup......went out Saturday and MISSED :D First ever try on one trotting and shot under him. Then the afterburners hit and he was gone. Fun as heck though and it sure got the heart a pumping. He came in to the decoy and caller about 15 minutes after daylight. Came across a 300 yard field like he was on a string. We'll get him next time.

Radar

Gravey said:
I'm like you in that I've not gone out specifically hunting for them but I bought a .243 barrel for my encore a few months ago that wants to go. Got to get it sighted in first though.

If I did , I would like to try some winter time hunting out of my ground blind for Yote with a bow .
I think that would be a challenge . I have shot a couple with a bow during while hunting for deer .

I predator hunt starting after deer season until it starts getting hot. I usually slow down for Turkey season and start reloading heavy in the summer and gun maintenance. I usually fox and coyote hunting around home.
--------------------------------------------------------
Bushmaster Predator AR-15 .223 / 70gr TSX (not so close)
Mossberg 12 gauge 500/935--#4 shot--full choke-- (close)
FX3 Foxpro caller
She was chasing a newborn calf, the farmer had already lost two in the past month. I made a friend that day.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106 ... ote002.jpg
coyote001.jpg

cdtac1

I wish I knew where they were around me in west tn. I know they are here but I only have public land to hunt and I think they are shut down till the fall.

Smoke

If ya havent done it youre missing out on loads of fun. Really gets my heart pumping watching these things come charging in full bore lookin for whats ringing the dinner bell. Keeps ya out in the off season and most farmers that wont let you hunt will let ya cut down on the yote population.
DSCN0496.jpg

DSCN0476-1.jpg

solodren

hey I know .17 are fast and flat shooting are they good predator guns, I are they big enough whats you guys opinion.. I missed a huge almost completely white coyote saturday morning running after these turkeys in the bottom of this valley about 200 yards.. hit one during bow season but only hair on the arrow.. Then things fly......

.17?

A 17hmr will kill them but the shot has to be perfect, a centerfire 17 caliber is a different story. I prefer 22 caliber and larger for yotes, my rig is a Bushmaster Predator in .223 shooting 70gr Barnes TSX or 70gr Speer RN. The 17hmr has a great deal of wind drift and loses alot of energy out at 200 yds. To be honest if you don't plan on mounting or keeping the hides your deer rifle with a ballistic tip would be great. Most people choose the smaller cailbers to minimize pelt damage.

Locksley

I did predator hunt starting after deer season until it started to get hot weather in June. The grass gets to high to see grounhogs then and the ticks and heat ruins the season about then. I did fox and coyote hunt around my brothers home on his farm.

jakeway

Cull Buck Hunter said:
.17?

... To be honest if you don't plan on mounting or keeping the hides your deer rifle with a ballistic tip would be great...

I use a .270 for deer, and a friend gave me a box of 90 gr Speer hollow points. With a slightly reduced load, they shoot really nice and hit pretty much same point of aim as my 130 grain, so that's what I'll use until I get a varmit-specific gun.

Latest posts