Planting potatoes this year... who, what and when

chimneyman

I'm trying potatoes planted in used tires this year. Heard good things about it. My garden is small so i'd rather use the space for beans tomatoes etc

fishboy1

We want to try the stack box method this year.

Build a box out of 1x6 deck boards. Im doing them 32" square.
Plant taters.
When the plants get 8-10" tall, add soil so only 3" is sticking up.
Repeat adding box wall sections as necessary as you go up.

Supposedly the plants keep adding on more potatoes as you bury the stems and you can get 150# of taters from a 3 or 4' box.

We shall see. Not putting all my taters in one box and will be trying a couple different methods.

One box will get soil, the other box will get straw, and we will plant a patch "regular" style in the garden to compare results.

Sako

fishboy1 said:
We want to try the stack box method this year.

Build a box out of 1x6 deck boards. Im doing them 32" square.
Plant taters.
When the plants get 8-10" tall, add soil so only 3" is sticking up.
Repeat adding box wall sections as necessary as you go up.

Supposedly the plants keep adding on more potatoes as you bury the stems and you can get 150# of taters from a 3 or 4' box.

We shall see. Not putting all my taters in one box and will be trying a couple different methods.

One box will get soil, the other box will get straw, and we will plant a patch "regular" style in the garden to compare results.

Very interesting... please keep us up to date on how this works...

I try to plant some things for the local food bank every year.... I was hoping to give it a go with a 150 foot x 25 foot section this year... Just hoping it works well...

I might try the box method as well for some for the house....

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Wife and I like the red potatoes and will be planting them around the middle of March. We plant in raised beds and simply lay them on the soil that has been fertilized and raked and then cover with straw. When the potatoes are ready, we simply pull the straw back and pick up the potatoes. I read about this method about 10 years ago in an Organic Gardening magazine. Works well for us with no digging. After I have picked up my potatoes, I carry the straw down to dump into my compost bin. This is the hardest work of the entire growing season.

I like to garden but do not like the hard work involved in the traditional method that most folks in my area use. :)

gil1

GRAMPS said:
Wife and I like the red potatoes and will be planting them around the middle of March. We plant in raised beds and simply lay them on the soil that has been fertilized and raked and then cover with straw. When the potatoes are ready, we simply pull the straw back and pick up the potatoes. I read about this method about 10 years ago in an Organic Gardening magazine. Works well for us with no digging. After I have picked up my potatoes, I carry the straw down to dump into my compost bin. This is the hardest work of the entire growing season.

I like to garden but do not like the hard work involved in the traditional method that most folks in my area use. :)

Freaking brilliant!

Sako

GRAMPS said:

That is interesting... Do you add more straw during the growing season? have you had any issues with mice getting to the potatoes and eating on them since they are not buried?

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
I put down straw a second time after the first layer mats down from rain. I keep tomatoe stakes on the straw so wind will not blow it away. Once the plants start growning, I do not add any straw. I have had no problem with mice getting into my potatoes.
You want to have 6-8 inch layer of stray covering the potaotes. Need enough straw to hold moisture and to keep the potatoes from getting "sunburned" and turning green.

When I did the traditonal method of planting, hilling, and digging,i had some problems. Beside the hard work, I occasionally had a problem with the potaoes rotting in the ground if we had a wet and hot summer.
It was hearbreaking to do all that work only to find your potatoes had rotted in the ground. :(

relocatedduckman

I'm glad i'm not the only one that uses this method. I used it last year.. Planted 40 lbs of potato's last year.. Got almost 90 lbs out of it all.. Never had a problem with mice.. But last year I had potato grubs/worms.. I culled the bad potatoes early and it helped.. I read that straw that came from out of area.. They can carry the larve from the bugs and they take well to potatoes.. So this season. I'm getting straw from my neighbor.. Hopefully i dont have the same problem.. I have twice the size of potato garden this year.. Gunna plant over 100 lbs for hopefully a 200% yield.. "Hopefully" lol.. I'm going to plant the last week of march.. first week of april.. Always great time.. I just started my lettice.. Hopefully it will take this year..

wlf89

relocatedduckman said:
I'm glad i'm not the only one that uses this method. I used it last year.. Planted 40 lbs of potato's last year.. Got almost 90 lbs out of it all.. Never had a problem with mice.. But last year I had potato grubs/worms.. I culled the bad potatoes early and it helped.. I read that straw that came from out of area.. They can carry the larve from the bugs and they take well to potatoes.. So this season. I'm getting straw from my neighbor.. Hopefully i dont have the same problem.. I have twice the size of potato garden this year.. Gunna plant over 100 lbs for hopefully a 200% yield.. "Hopefully" lol.. I'm going to plant the last week of march.. first week of april.. Always great time.. I just started my lettice.. Hopefully it will take this year..
so you planted 40 and you think 90lb yield is good? last yr we planted 150lb and yielded 3,000 lbs. but we do the old fashion method of planting them and hilling them up.we have cultivators for the tractor so that helps :D

gil1

I guess sweet potatoes are a different deal...
Everything I have read says you plant no sooner than when the soil reaches 80 degrees. Most recommend a mid-June to mid-July planting.

reliable

Bump this old thread, when do you put your seed potatoes out? Growing up, the old timers in Southern Indiana did in on St. Patrick's Day
Just put mine in yesterday. I have ( 9)8'x8' box gardens and one of them is dedicated to potatoes. 18" depth of great soil, I put 6 rows in of red potatoes, with 8 seed potatoes in each row. Dug ditch, put potato in, covered with 4" soil and some composted straw. When the leaves pole thru straw I will cover with more soil and more straw. Will do this 3-4X and end up with a mound at each row. Harvest throughout the whole summer, a treasure hunt each time I pull a plant.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Any day now till end of March. 20 gallon grow bags. 4 cut seed potatoes per bag. Red Pontiac's, kennebecks and russet. Mixed soil bagged garden soil with hardwood mulch and potting soil. Create a plastic lined depression with 2 X 4's so watering last for days. 4 inches of soil, seed potatoes and fill the bag. I dig these by the end of June to early July most years and plant old seed potatoes back, They WILL make a second crop by frost.
86A6C59F-8005-4989-B823-D51E8B588B5F.jpeg
E957B64D-6A5D-453B-B5DB-BD3874CC52C1.jpeg

woodyard

Planted some Red Norlands and Kennebecs yesterday. Going to have another planting in a couple of weeks if the weather is right. Told my son I had been working in garden yesterday and he mused that I would probably expand it this year with the bozos in DC. Yep, I intend to grow more of everything. Better to not need it than to not have it in these times.

DaveB

Bonechaser I really like that field.

I'm thinking I will try some this year.

Any tips on best way to cut into sets?

Chickenrig

Thats alot of seeds to plant !! Do you cut up the seed potaotes or just plant whole?
I would think you should get a whole lot more than 90 lbs .
I bought two little bags of seeds and made 2 100' rows out of them ! All are up and getting ready to be hilled up and fertilized .
Good luck and let me know how you do it
Thanks

Latest posts