Food Plots Planting Clover in Sept.

JCDEERMAN

I have enough clover remaining that I hate to disc it up. I thought about drilling some in early September and frost seed in February to see if I could revive the plot. My cultipacker didn't fare well in the flood nearly two years ago.
If there's some already established, drilling may not be a bad plan. You could also put a little winter wheat in there with it to act as nurse crop. I always frost seed heavy, especially covering the barren spots

Tn_Va_Hunter

I planted brassicas a couple years in a row by the bag dates. It didn't do well. So last year I planted middle July and they done great.

So this year I planted early again with brassicas, oats, winter wheat.

Will overseed again in September with winter wheat, oats and buckwheat.

Always had good luck doing it this way.

I bush hog, spray, disc up the plot (not deep just the surface) spread seed and drag.

Spurhunter

I planted brassicas a couple years in a row by the bag dates. It didn't do well. So last year I planted middle July and they done great.

So this year I planted early again with brassicas, oats, winter wheat.

Will overseed again in September with winter wheat, oats and buckwheat.

Always had good luck doing it this way.

I bush hog, spray, disc up the plot (not deep just the surface) spread seed and drag.
I am curious. What exactly did you plant? And did you bushhog first, then spray on purpose? I always wonder what to do first.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I am curious. What exactly did you plant? And did you bushhog first, then spray on purpose? I always wonder what to do first.
In the new plot this year I done brassica and turnips. The old plot got winter wheat, oats and buckwheat. I also put some clover out.

I always bush hog first. Then spray. I've just had better kill rates this way for some reason. After it dies out. I then run my disc over it to break up the ground some. Then seed and drag

tellico4x4

I always bush hog first. Then spray.
I'm doing right the opposite this year, disking first & letting lay for couple weeks. Use to do this a lot, heat & sun kills weeds, and rain showers germinate the seed bank. I'll spray whatever weeds show up right before planting. Started two weeks ago as have a lot of re-do this year due to logging & clover at end of life cycle. Plan on getting 10 more done this weekend

Latest posts