Food Plots Planting Clover in Sept.

Spurhunter

Instead of winter greens I'm going to plant Imperial Whitetail Clover this year thinking it will attract turkeys as well as deer. Anyone planted clover in the fall? Was it up good and doing its thing by deer season? I'm just wondering if I'm doing the right thing since winter greens always attract the deer late season.

Spurhunter

If it were me I'd plant oats / wheat / rye with it. That'll insure you have food for an attractant this year and next spring you'll have a dandy clover plot to work with.
I have had good luck with oats in the past. The Whitetail Institute Winter Greens were phenomenal for deer, but not so much for turkeys. I think I'll plant Buck Forage Oats and Imperial Whitetail Clover and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

DoubleRidge

If it were me I'd plant oats / wheat / rye with it. That'll insure you have food for an attractant this year and next spring you'll have a dandy clover plot to work with.
^ This ^....great advice....planting a nurse crop like oats with fall clover works...and in addition to being an attractant it grows fast and will help supress weeds as your clover develops.

JCDEERMAN

We planted wheat with our clover last fall to act as a nurse crop. It did great. Primarily for establishment for this spring. Turkeys we killed were full of clover in their crops. We went through in February and hand spread another 8 lbs or so per acre as a frost seed. It is thick!

tellico4x4

Landino is fairly slow getting started so expect minimal clover to hunt over this fall. It'll be building root system and you should have good growth when it starts warming up in spring. If you want some clover to hunt over this fall, add some crimson or balansa to the oats/clover mix. They will both out perform the landino in early spring providing a cover or nurse crop while feeding deer & turkey. When they start to wane the landino will be coming on.
BTW, you shouldn't plant brassicas in the same spot year after year due to disease setting in.

square

I didn't know about not planting brassicas year after year in the same place until a couple of years ago. I had been planting turnips. Planted dykon radishes 2 years ago instead and had a bumper crop. Last year, not so much. Both were mixed in with wheat, oats, and clover. How long to I need to wait before I plant radishes or turnips again?

backyardtndeer

Anyone planted clover in the fall?
Yes, I prefer fall planting for clover.
Will it be enough to draw deer in this year?
It can, especially if planted with a grain. I like to plant clovers with winter rye in the fall. One of the first food plots I ever planted was a mix from Pennington that has clover and their wintergrazer rye. It was less than a half acre. Late in the fall one afternoon I had 17 deer in that plot. That was a lot for here at that time especially, our deer density at the time was pretty low.

deerhunter10

We always plant a cover crop with clover. Wheat usually but have done oats. Buy wheat in bulk so its easier and cheaper for us. It'll be ok a lot of times we add some crimson in our mix as well. Sadly we had 2 not bounce back after this past year so we will be redoing 2 as well. We never plant our clover in spring always fall. Keep the maintenance up on it and you will have a good foodplot for a while.

megalomaniac

Don't plant straight clover this fall if you are wanting a perennial clover plot in the future!

I'd go 15lbs per acre of perennial clover, 25lbs of wheat, and 3 lbs of brassicas (drilled)

The brassicas will die over winter and not compete. The wheat will suppress weed growth, decrease browse pressure on the clover this winter, and is easy to clip above the clover next spring. Then focus on maintaining the established clover next summer/ fall.

Latest posts