Food Plots Plant or Wait

JCDEERMAN

Don't know where your place is JCDEERMAN, but here's the radar estimated rainfall for today around Hickman County
Oh I misread what you posted. I thought you said you got 1.8" at your house. I can't think straight with a throbbing headache.

We are in the gray according to that map.

TN Larry

I'm mad for the opposite. Forecast for me last night showed 1/2 to 3/4" today with more showers tonight. Had rain closing in this morning when we started. Planted both plots to now watch the rain split us North and South. We haven't got much more than a sprinkle but too late now.
Finally getting the rain we were supposed to get all day. Been watching a system east of us for a while but figured it would break up. It's been raining pretty steady for an hour with some yellow and red on radar and looks like it will continue at least another 45 mins.

RS

I'm PISSED! Forecast for today at my place was a slight chance of rain with no more than 0.20" accumulation. That's not enough to plant, so I didn't. We got 1.80"! Son of a B....
It definitely must have been spotty yesterday in western middle Tennessee. My property is just a few miles to the east of yours, and all I got was a few sprinkles. I was able to disk all day with no problem.

tellico4x4

It definitely must have been spotty yesterday in western middle Tennessee. My property is just a few miles to the east of yours, and all I got was a few sprinkles. I was able to disk all day with no problem.
X2
The only problem I'm having disking is having to stop twice a day, pull the outer air filter from tractor and beat it against tree to get rid of dust! Have 17 plots ready for seed & working on 16 more. Hopefully we'll be done by time it decides to rain...

deerhunter10

Our house got just under 1/2inch our farm near the Hickman County line got a little over an inch. I didn't believe the weather wish we would have put some seed in the ground. It is what it is.

DoubleRidge

I hope we get rain next week. Between work schedules and other future commitments we need to get our plots planted...so Saturday, cereal rye, winter wheat and crimson clover is going to be planted....and if needed we'll come back later and top sow more wheat... but we gotta get going...and if we get rain next week it should time out good with our average first frost being around Oct 15th... which will help reduce grass and weed competition....So Sunday afternoon or Monday I'll wash my truck, mow the yard and schedule a camping trip...all proven rain makers....lol.

BSK

I'm almost in the same boat DoubleRidge. With work being crazy and a trip out-of-state coming up in early October, I'm almost at the point of planting and hoping for the best.

tellico4x4

Keep an eye on next weekend, late. One of the three models (Canadian) is showing a good rain for West TN Sunday through Tuesday. The European still shows nothing for that time frame, while the American (GFS) is wishy washy, showing between an inch and a half inch.
The American has been driving me crazy for a week now...

BSK

Do you use a drill?
We've found that drilling gives a little more latitude on the timing.
Unless you want to break a very expensive piece of equipment, I wouldn't get a drill anywhere near my place! I destroyed a brand-new disk in 24 hours on my plots.

I'll be using a construction-grade tiller to turn about 2" of soil.

My "soil:"

Attachments

• plots41.jpg
    plots41.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 60

BigAl

Keep an eye on next weekend, late. One of the three models (Canadian) is showing a good rain for West TN Sunday through Tuesday. The European still shows nothing for that time frame, while the American (GFS) is wishy washy, showing between an inch and a half inch.
I think I'm seeding this weekend. Fingers crossed. (West, TN/Fayette co)

jc0313

Managed to get a kill plot in before the rain on Saturday, I just hope the turkeys don't gobble up all of the seed.

Latest posts