Pattern opinion?

Joe2Kool

Good patterns put 250+ in that 10" circle. ;)
Hmmm. You are correct. Some combinations of load and choke will do that. I must be older than I want to admit because before all the super-tight and long-range patterns, 100 at 40 yards was considered good.

Anyway, when I had a pattern that tight, I whiffed a couple times inside 20 yards. Obviously my expert calling and hunting skills were better than my shooting skills! :) :)

I've settled on a combination that puts about 100-125 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. That makes the 45 yard line the line to cross. But also gives a wide enough pattern at 20 to avoid the whiff.

Different topic, you talk to Ole Goat lately? Trying to talk him into going to Nebraska with me in April.

Huntaholic

Hmmm. You are correct. Some combinations of load and choke will do that. I must be older than I want to admit because before all the super-tight and long-range patterns, 100 at 40 yards was considered good.

Anyway, when I had a pattern that tight, I whiffed a couple times inside 20 yards. Obviously my expert calling and hunting skills were better than my shooting skills! :) :)

I've settled on a combination that puts about 100-125 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. That makes the 45 yard line the line to cross. But also gives a wide enough pattern at 20 to avoid the whiff.

Different topic, you talk to Ole Goat lately? Trying to talk him into going to Nebraska with me in April.
Ive killed a ton of birds with guns that were only 125 to 150, youre correct in that its plenty. Both of the guns Im hunting with now do CONSIDERABLY better than that though. What Ive found is that my cripples are non existent now as opposed to those old patterns AND I almost never find a pellet in the breast. Id rather miss clean than wound one. A clean miss will be there to hunt again, a lost bird is dead.
I haven't talked with LWA in FOREVER! I hope hes still doing well! Tell him I was asking about him!

Latest posts