Pattern opinion?

timberjack86

I know we have a forum for pattern pictures but I thought I'd get more opinions here. 16 gauge Remington #6 at 40 yards. Will probably not shoot one that far unless accidental. Will this pattern kill at 40 yards? I think it will but looking for more opinions. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_162653808.jpg
    IMG_20210314_162653808.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 130

catman529

It will kill but I'd id be afraid to shoot a turkey at that distance. It kinda looks like my pattern which I just keep to 30 or closer anymore. I've missed enough chip shots that I prefer a more open pattern now. I try to set up where the bird will have to be inside 30 before we can see each other.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
To be completely honest, you need a bigger target to actually see your pattern. No way of telling what POI of center of pattern is with that small a target. My gun shoots low and to the left, but I wouldn't have known if all I used was a turkey target-sized piece of paper.
Get a large roll of paper like they sell at Home Depot. Even old Christmas wrapping paper is better if you orient it wide. Then you can find the center of your pattern and make your "Kentucky windage" adjustment.

deerfever

I would look into another brand of ammo if you can find any for a 16 gauge and pattern with it. I would do more testing before I hunted with the gun.

wkyhunter

This!!!

To be completely honest, you need a bigger target to actually see your pattern. No way of telling what POI of center of pattern is with that small a target. My gun shoots low and to the left, but I wouldn't have known if all I used was a turkey target-sized piece of paper.
Get a large roll of paper like they sell at Home Depot. Even old Christmas wrapping paper is better if you orient it wide. Then you can find the center of your pattern and make your "Kentucky windage" adjustment.

philsanchez76

I know we have a forum for pattern pictures but I thought I'd get more opinions here. 16 gauge Remington #6 at 40 yards. Will probably not shoot one that far unless accidental. Will this pattern kill at 40 yards? I think it will but looking for more opinions. Thanks
Haha I did exactly what you did and drew the world's dumbest looking turkey heads cuz I didn't want to pay $$$$ for actual turkey targets. Your pattern is literally identical to mine with Nitros. I upgraded to HEviShot and it was way better. I still have not been able to pay the insane $ for TSS. But I am pretty impressed with the hevishot.

Setterman

off topic but am I the only one that hates turkey head targets? To me I want a spot, so I take a piece of poster board, draw a black spot with a sharpie about the size of a half dollar and want my pattern centered on that. My reasoning is that sometimes I can only see a head, others the entire bird but want my gun centered for wherever the dot is.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
off topic but am I the only one that hates turkey head targets? To me I want a spot, so I take a piece of poster board, draw a black spot with a sharpie about the size of a half dollar and want my pattern centered on that. My reasoning is that sometimes I can only see a head, others the entire bird but want my gun centered for wherever the dot is.

I do the same but I use wrapping paper that I buy on clearance. It's easier to fine tune our scopes when you have an actual dot to shoot at.

Latest posts