Pattern opinion?

Spurhunter

No way I'd hunt with that. I shot a longbeard years ago and when I got to him he jumped up and ran off and I never found him. I never want to have that feeling again. People say my gun/load combo is "overkill" but I cannot personally hunt with subpar patterns knowing there's a chance I might feed a turkey to the coyotes. I do have a 16 gauge that has been in the family for years, and I have some Apex TSS for it. Someday I'm going to try to kill a bird with it, if it throws a good even pattern.

megalomaniac

off topic but am I the only one that hates turkey head targets? To me I want a spot, so I take a piece of poster board, draw a black spot with a sharpie about the size of a half dollar and want my pattern centered on that. My reasoning is that sometimes I can only see a head, others the entire bird but want my gun centered for wherever the dot is.
I do the same. A black circle that is about the same as my 3 MOA dot at 40y. Always on at least a 24x24 (prefer 30x30in) target to see the whole pattern.

scn

I have a old model 12 in 16 that I'd love to kill a turkey with.
Solid rib, but some jackleg put a polychoke on it.
If you like the gun but hate the polychoke, these folks may be able to cut the polychoke off and thread for a choke: https://www.sumtoycustoms.com/

They have done several barrels for me, and I have liked their work.

JCDEERMAN

If you like the gun but hate the polychoke, these folks may be able to cut the polychoke off and thread for a choke: https://www.sumtoycustoms.com/

They have done several barrels for me, and I have liked their work.
My first gun was a youth 20 g. The thing is tiny and light, but the barrel isn't threaded for a choke. Do you think they would be able to do that? This is the first time I've ever even thought modifying this gun.

As for that pattern, I don't like it at all.

Spurhunter

My first gun was a youth 20 g. The thing is tiny and light, but the barrel isn't threaded for a choke. Do you think they would be able to do that?
I've had one done and it all depends on the thickness of the metal. I used a dial caliper to get my measurements so he knew if it was doable before I shipped it to him. I used Michael Orlen in Massachusetts and was well pleased. He is well known in the shotgun community.

JCDEERMAN

I've had one done and it all depends on the thickness of the metal. I used a dial caliper to get my measurements so he knew if it was doable before I shipped it to him. I used Michael Orlen in Massachusetts and was well pleased. He is well known in the shotgun community.
Good to know. The barrel is quite thin compared to all the others, so I'm not sure it is doable. I'll look into it though - thanks for the contact!

Joe2Kool

I know we have a forum for pattern pictures but I thought I'd get more opinions here. 16 gauge Remington #6 at 40 yards. Will probably not shoot one that far unless accidental. Will this pattern kill at 40 yards? I think it will but looking for more opinions. Thanks
Looks like about 35 pellets in 8.5x11, which is close to the standard 10" circle. Good patterns put 90+ in a 10".

cutnrun03

I've been patterning Turkey guns since 1986. I have bought dozens of choke tubes and spent $1,000's of dollars on Turkey loads trying to get the best set up. I'm older and now shoot a Simmons Pro Diamond scope on my single shot T/C Pro Hunter 3" Turkey gun. The cheapest and quickest way to find a good combination is to get on a website like Nitro Ammunition in Mo. They have already done the homework for you. You tell them what kind of gun you have and their info will tell you what patterns best with which choke tube and which one of their loads. I believe Jeb's, Rhino, and Indian Creek have same thing. When I switched over to TSS, I did my homework and went straight to Indian Creek rep and he told me what choke tube to shoot. I shoot an Indian Creek .655 with Apex 3" #9's in 2 1/4 oz loads. At 40 yards over 300 shot in 10"circle with dot in middle. You just have to spend some time on the bench experimenting to what your 16 gauge prefers. You may not ever get it like you want. But confidence in your weapon is King in the Turkey woods.

tnanh

My first gun was a youth 20 g. The thing is tiny and light, but the barrel isn't threaded for a choke. Do you think they would be able to do that? This is the first time I've ever even thought modifying this gun.

They have done two single shot 20s for me. Will be done in tru choke threads.

TheLBLman

I know we have a forum for pattern pictures but I thought I'd get more opinions here. 16 gauge Remington #6 at 40 yards. Will probably not shoot one that far unless accidental. Will this pattern kill at 40 yards? I think it will but looking for more opinions. Thanks
I fully understand your desire to kill a turkey with your old 16 ga.
I've done that with (at least) three different 16 ga guns (just not lately).
I suspect your current load should be limited to about 30 yds, but on called-in birds, you may already be killing them regularly well under that.

I killed, I believe 2 turkeys, with 16ga #7 1/2 high brass, and the others with the same #6 squirrel (possibly waterfowl loads) I simply had. This was before steel shot was required for waterfowl. I used the #7 1/2 in the more open chokes.

Based on the current situation, here's my thoughts:

1) Best solution is to either buy some #9 TSS loads, and/or have someone handload you some.
They currently seem to be in stock at Apex

These particular loads have a payload of 1 5/8 oz, and would likely immediately turn your 16 ga gun into a 40-plus yard turkey killer (very likely you may get acceptable patterns at 45 yds). This is with doing nothing else but going with those loads. Be sure to go with the #9 size shot, or if hand-loaded, #9.5 or #10 would be even better!

2) Just get you some high-velocity #7 1/2 lead loads (with 1 1/8 oz payload).
Ideally, copper or nickel-plated pellets. Not that you shouldn't be doing this anyway, imo, but limiting yourself to head/high neck shots, this should make your 16 ga a fairly solid 30-35-yd turkey killer (without any other changes).

Basing this on what I'm seeing with your #6 load, which may need further testing with a larger target. What you did does not show your center POI and full pattern.

Keep in mind the #7 1/2 lead pellets are quickly losing their already marginal "energy" and penetration abilities beyond 30-35 yds (very unlike the TSS pellets). A turkey's head is somewhat akin to a hard rubber ball, so imagine how far "bird" shot will penetrate into a hard rubber ball at 35 yds. Not much, but enough to kill turkeys at 35 yds.

deerfever

I like the Birchwood Casey turkey head targets after I finish patterning my gun the same way the others have said. I start out at close range shooting at a small dot on poster board to get my point of impact. I then start adjustments and moving back with light loads. Once I get everything settled in I put the turkey head target up and shoot at 40 yards with my actual turkey load , again I am using a red dot of some sort so I adjust to the way I aim which is at the base of the neck where the feathers and neck meet. So actually mine might be just a little high on just a dot so I always shoot the true to size turkey head target to see what I will do on the actual bird. That's the only reason I end with the turkey head. If you are just shooting a bead that POI will be important as you will have to adjust your aim on your own according to what you find out with that first shot at the dot. Good luck with it, I hope you get it figured out and ready to hunt!

TheLBLman

. . . . . I aim which is at the base of the neck where the feathers and neck meet . . . . . . If you are just shooting a bead that POI will be important as you will have to adjust your aim on your own according . . . . . .
Some of you must not eat your birds :)
I'm so particular (perhaps peculiar) I want even take a shot if I think much chance of getting "a" pellet in the breast. My normal aim point is either the throat area of the neck, or the head.

Using a bead sight, adjusting for an "off" POI is commonly referred to as "Kentucky Windage", although that term refers to elevation as well.

deerfever

I don't think you understood what I said at all there LBL man. My pattern is higher than my aim point ( just the way I do it) Take a look at my targets in the pattern forum. I eat every bird I kill! I choose not to aim at the skinny part of the neck or a head. I aim at the base of the waddles where it meets the feathers and the pattern covers the head and neck area! Furthermore I want shoot at just a head, I want to see a visible beard. Just me to each his own on that one. Here you go,I am guessing a pretty much pellet free dead turkey. Neither you nor I , or anyone else on this forum can control a stray flyer that may end up in the breast based on distance of shot and possible movement of the turkey or the shooter ( it happens). I wish you the best this season!

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_151004684.jpg
    IMG_20210227_151004684.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

scn

Maybe. Some barrels are too thin to be threaded. Give them a call and they should be able to tell you if they can do it. He does quality work.

Right before turkey season is a super busy time for them, so it might not be possible before the season.

Maybe.

It depends on whether or not the walls of the barrel are thick enough to handle the threading. Give them a call. I suspect they likely know on your model. If not, you may have to measure with a micrometer.

JCDEERMAN

Maybe. Some barrels are too thin to be threaded. Give them a call and they should be able to tell you if they can do it. He does quality work.

Right before turkey season is a super busy time for them, so it might not be possible before the season.

Maybe.

It depends on whether or not the walls of the barrel are thick enough to handle the threading. Give them a call. I suspect they likely know on your model. If not, you may have to measure with a micrometer.
Thanks, scn. I'm not worried about this season - I'll do it over summer.

TN hunter

off topic but am I the only one that hates turkey head targets? To me I want a spot, so I take a piece of poster board, draw a black spot with a sharpie about the size of a half dollar and want my pattern centered on that. My reasoning is that sometimes I can only see a head, others the entire bird but want my gun centered for wherever the dot is.
^^ This ^^

Latest posts