tss pattern

waterman

sighted a 20 gauge tss #9 today. shot a few standard # 8 to check right / left. all was good. 1 st tss at 40 yrds pounded the target, little high. adjusted p o a and second was fair. wanted to be positive so shot two more rounds. went from very tight pattern to what looked more like modified. pellets were all over the place. my question is could this be from the gun getting dirty the more I shot? I am not confident with the last round enough to shoot a range of 40 yrds. the first round I was very pleased. any help here?

Last edited:

Boll Weevil

The barrel of my turkey gun gets bore-snaked after every dead tom. At least in my gun, that's the only way to assure shot-to-shot consistency. Some guns like a dirty bore though.

REN

I have not experienced it as much with TSS (I load my own) but previous ammo like Heavyweight 7 would do the same. my gun shot it VERY well on a clean barrel but on a dirty barrel it just got worse and worse. My solution as to always clean it after I shot it and start each hunt with a clean bore. Not hard to do with a turkey gun

CHRIS WILSON

shooting carlsons .555
I've seen quite a bit of inconsistency when it comes to patterns and .555 chokes. It's a really tight constriction to squeeze a 1 5/8 load of TSS through. Some patterns will look great and other times the pattern will blow out. Because of how tight of a constriction a .555 choke is, I do believe they're more sensitive to fouling build up. Give the barrel and choke a good, thorough cleaning and recheck your patterns.

Bone Collector

shooting carlsons .555
is it the one made for TSS. they make a choke specifically for TSS. IDK if it is any different than the others, but I purchased a Carlson's TSS choke when i started shooting TSS and it has worked well for me.

I shoot a 12 gauge though so anything between 25 and 50 yds. in front of the barrel is pretty much in trouble. 😂

REN

is it the one made for TSS. they make a choke specifically for TSS. IDK if it is any different than the others, but I purchased a Carlson's TSS choke when i started shooting TSS and it has worked well for me.

I shoot a 12 gauge though so anything between 25 and 50 yds. in front of the barrel is pretty much in trouble. 😂
its not made any different then their other chokes just a different constriction

deerhunter10

sighted a 20 gauge tss #9 today. shot a few standard # 8 to check right / left. all was good. 1 st tss at 40 yrds pounded the target, little high. adjusted p o a and second was fair. wanted to be positive so shot two more rounds. went from very tight pattern to what looked more like modified. pellets were all over the place. my question is could this be from the gun getting dirty the more I shot? I am not confident with the last round enough to shoot a range of 40 yrds. the first round I was very pleased. any help here?
What brand ammo? I shoot apex and federal (got a great deal) the federal is consistent but not as consistent as apex. Still holds a great pattern just not as tight.

Boll Weevil

Not sure what kind of gun you're shooting, and if it were me this close to the season I probably wouldn't do it, but here's a project you can think about for the future. Polish the bore and forcing cone. Some barrels straight from the factory can be rough as a Nebraska cob. Ideally when you look up a barrel with a light it'll appear almost mirror-like.

Done properly polishing generally improves patterns, fouls less, and makes it easier to clean wadding and powder residue.

REN

that is what I was thinking. I am thinking it is a tighter constriction. I am also thinking this was discussed a while back and many were saying you need a tighter constriction for TSS.

I may not be remembering correctly.

opposite generally, need a more OPEN choke. However that depends on gun , ammo, shot size being used plus internals of the choke. LOTS of people shoot 555-562 in 20 gauge TSS with fantastic results. Granted an Indian Creek 562 doesnt mean a carlsons 562 will perform the same.

Rakkin6

So I polish my barrels every few years and deep clean before each season that I don't polish.

If I were you I would deep clean your barrel if you are going to shoot again. And run a boresnake in-between shots. That's what I do just to stay consistent from shot to shot. I also keep the chamber open and allow the barrel to cool between shots (usually shoot some 9mm to burn time while the barrels cools). I try to replicate cold bore shots has I would take them in the field, cool clean barrel. I know this may seem like overkill but it's just a method I have used for years doing LRM in the Army with rifles and I just carried it over to patterning shotguns. Consistency is key

AlabamaSwamper

Best I've seen is using the factory full in guns

My .665 does exceptional. Never tried my factory full. It's so good with that choke I hate to spend $12 to see another choke. 😂

My dad used a factory full in his BPS 20 and it'sa beast aout to 50 with #9s

Latest posts