Overhang/bluff line question

UT-longbeard

A property I have access to has a pretty unique overhang/bluff line that sits off a creek roughly 50-60 yards. There's been points found in the creek and field, but I've never taken the time to try and scratch around the overhang. Does anyone in here have experience digging around these?

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I have dug several overhangs in the past. Never came across a burial in one. This is one of the reasons I enjoy digging an overhang as I have a fear of digging into a grave. I have found points, pottery, and many artifacts made of bone in several overhangs that I have dug. Take your knife next time and use it to check for artifacts.

XCR-2

I'm currently digging one. Been at it for about a year now. It faces east and has a decent overhang to it. Creek is about 300 yards down the ridge. They've carried big creek rock up for grinding and nutting stones. Found several points and scrapers but not much pottery. Also dug straight into the fire pit where we found mussel shells and charred wood. Pretty cool

Carlos

I'm currently digging one. Been at it for about a year now. It faces east and has a decent overhang to it. Creek is about 300 yards down the ridge. They've carried big creek rock up for grinding and nutting stones. Found several points and scrapers but not much pottery. Also dug straight into the fire pit where we found mussel shells and charred wood. Pretty cool
How deep would a person expect to dig in one of these areas?

Carlos

There are 3 scenarios on how deep to go. Until you hit the hard pan, you quit finding stuff, or you get tired. That's one of the many questions.
I dug under one last year, around 12" down, I started finding charred pieces of wood and rock. Then I found an old scotch bottle from the prohibition days, labeled with something like, "Refill prohibited by federal law".

I dug a few more inches past that but didn't find anything else...

Latest posts