A couple of Henderson County finds, and Questions

DeerCamp

I've always been curious about our farm here as there is some historical evidence that this particular area was used by Native 's.

In speaking with a neighbor, whose farm is less than 1/4 mile away, he told me he's found a decent amount of points and relics. I was skeptical, but then he showed me his collection and I was blown away.

Over the last week, we've spent some time poking around his fields and have come up with a couple of neat finds. (See below).

My question is - my property is much higher in elevation, and has a lot more hills. The same creek runs through the property as his, but I have come up totally blank on my property.

His property is a sloping corn field with a couple of mounds in it, but certainly not the highest ground around. It is close to a swamp, but I really (REALLY!) want to find some relics on our property.

Any advice on how to narrow down the search area?

Attachments

• 0921201908_resized.jpg
    0921201908_resized.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 628
  • 0925201815_resized.jpg
    0925201815_resized.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 0928201940_resized.jpg
    0928201940_resized.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 629

Dbllunger

When looking at new ground I always try to think as they may have. Water is essential. Find places near rivers or large creeks that generally have water year round. Would you camp on a sloped hillside? Probably not and think bigger. You want a large gentle sloping or flat area near water but above a flood zone. They traveled in groups. Sometimes large groups so they needed a larger area. You also have to remember that in some cases, just because there is water there now doesn't mean there was water there 1,000 years ago and vice versa. Looking at topo maps can sometimes help with this as you can see natural drainage areas and where water may have been in the past.

Those are some nice finds by the way. Congrats.

DeerCamp

Dbllunger":2s274rvp said:
When looking at new ground I always try to think as they may have. Water is essential. Find places near rivers or large creeks that generally have water year round. Would you camp on a sloped hillside? Probably not and think bigger. You want a large gentle sloping or flat area near water but above a flood zone. They traveled in groups. Sometimes large groups so they needed a larger area. You also have to remember that in some cases, just because there is water there now doesn't mean there was water there 1,000 years ago and vice versa. Looking at topo maps can sometimes help with this as you can see natural drainage areas and where water may have been in the past.

Those are some nice finds by the way. Congrats.

Appreciate the advice!

Lost Lake

The most heavily used areas by the NA's seemed to be the second terrace back from a consistent water source like a river or big creek. These areas were less prone to heavy flooding, and thus safer to build dwellings on.

Seasonal camps will be located near springs and sometimes right on creeks themselves, but remember they weren't permanent.

My guess is that your neighbor's property is on that second terrace. But, that doesn't mean that your property doesn't hold artifacts. Finding them without having plowed and disked ground ( or at least cleared ) will be more difficult.

Try looking in drainage ditches, cleared spots, and any place where soil is exposed. If you score, you can narrow your search even further from there. Keep an eye out for flint flakes or "debitage".

DeerCamp

Lost Lake":1o5sv2hq said:
The most heavily used areas by the NA's seemed to be the second terrace back from a consistent water source like a river or big creek. These areas were less prone to heavy flooding, and thus safer to build dwellings on.

Seasonal camps will be located near springs and sometimes right on creeks themselves, but remember they weren't permanent.

My guess is that your neighbor's property is on that second terrace. But, that doesn't mean that your property doesn't hold artifacts. Finding them without having plowed and disked ground ( or at least cleared ) will be more difficult.

Try looking in drainage ditches, cleared spots, and any place where soil is exposed. If you score, you can narrow your search even further from there. Keep an eye out for flint flakes or "debitage".

I really appreciate the information. You seem very knowledgeable.

If the water ever gets low, I plan to look in the creek also.

Latest posts