Opening Weekend MZL harvest down 56% from 2016

UpperTully

EHD wasn't an issue in the parts near where I hunt. I think the harvest totals being down had to do with the less than favorable weather conditions.

I know a few who stayed home, instead of sweating and stinking their hunting areas up.

csi-tech

Since opening day I could have shot a 3 point a couple of does and a small 6 today. My buddy saw one of our big 10 pointers this weekend but no clean shots. The hot weather has really slowed the activity, at least daytime activity almost to a halt. Evenings have been a little better than mornings it seems.

jard

80 degrees and 20 mph winds shut my deer down. Didnt even go this weekend. Ive learned over the years that high wind and any rain make my deer dissapear after hunting through it many, many times. Old age has told me to just stay at home during those conditions and get some family time in hoping to bank it for good hunting weather!!

Stykbow

It was the weather for me. Dense fog Saturday morning, a real frog choker of a rain Sunday morning, full moon, and hot weather made for a crappy opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRSJ35

dont know what the deal is with these deer.I really havnt found any sign even in the acorns.I keep hoping they found something better to eat and will return.I found a doe standing in the creek when it was 37 degrees.She looked very weak.Me and a friend went back to get her she was gone.This was a few weeks ago.Told the warden he said most likely EHD. He said its been real bad in many counties in east tn.And we weren't overpopulated to begin with go figure.weather play's a part but iv'e sweated in muzzleloader many times.Hopefully thing's get better.

Winchester

Yea a combo of bad so far, EHD in parts of East TN and TERRIBLE weather for the most part has likely hurt the kills from day one of season this yr all over the state.

catman529

Ehd sure has some effect but probably not a huge one statewide. I'd blame it on the weather for not only decreased deer movement but also people's lack of drive to hunt in said weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kentuckylakebuck

it amazes me how blind we are to depradation permits, we are quick to yell EHD or weather but no one seems to think about farmers shooting deer every night all summer has any effect on deer numbers? mind boggling to me!

catman529

kentuckylakebuck":3hvqwe4x said:
it amazes me how blind we are to depradation permits, we are quick to yell EHD or weather but no one seems to think about farmers shooting deer every night all summer has any effect on deer numbers? mind boggling to me!
depredation permits are nothing new, that's not why we are 56% lower this year...none of the places I hunt have depredation killing either...

kentuckylakebuck

catman529":ri2tcbza said:
kentuckylakebuck":ri2tcbza said:
depredation permits are nothing new, that's not why we are 56% lower this year...none of the places I hunt have depredation killing either...

Your places may not have any permits but you can bet surrounding areas do, if you don't want to believe it, thats you right, but I've seen the killing and until you do it is hard to fathom!

muddyboots

Andy S.":368p5nc1 said:
docpoco":368p5nc1 said:
Most likely weather related ........
For sure. I know SEVERAL hunters who hunted all weekend and did not see a deer in areas with good deer densities.

I haven't seen a deer from the stand this year. I usually average seeing 4 or 5 bucks a sit this time of year. The farmer on adjacent property killed 130 deer this summer. If u don't think that will change ur hunting ur wrong.

muddyboots

kentuckylakebuck":3l3hzc85 said:

I have never noticed the effect like this year.

catman529

kentuckylakebuck":6v8xi9cf said:
catman529":6v8xi9cf said:
kentuckylakebuck":6v8xi9cf said:

Your places may not have any permits but you can bet surrounding areas do, if you don't want to believe it, thats you right, but I've seen the killing and until you do it is hard to fathom!
I drive a lot of back roads around me and the deer herd is fine. If farmers are getting depredation permits it's pretty localized. And like I said it's nothing new, farmers have always killed piles of deer, so i don't think it has anything to do with this years ML opener harvest being down.

Latest posts