Opening MZL weekend numbers are in...

AT Hiker

Wow! Sat/Sun morn was slow at my place but the evenings were popping. I killed one this morning right as the rain started around 7am.

I just dont see weather affecting numbers that much unless weather affects the hunters more than I assumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prowler

Didn't think the weather was THAT bad ? Around here anyway. Showers Saturday morning but nothing even a halfway decent rain shell couldn't of deterred. Rain slacked and light winds sat. evening. Sunday morning colder with light winds again. And perfect Sunday evening. I did hear the fewest amount of shots I can remember hearing in awhile. Weather did not affect the deer imo but may have affected hunters more than I realized also.

PillsburyDoughboy

docpoco":1826h3rg said:
Statewide Numbers Below (including WMA)

9731 TOTAL
4073 DOES
5658 BUCKS (Including BB and AB)

17275 TOTAL
6039 DOES
11236 BUCKS

That represents an overall decrease of 44%, and a decrease of 49.4% for Bucks.

I actually do suspect that it is mostly weather related.

I can tell you that the busiest processor here in madison county told me they only had 11 deer checked this weekend.

Where does one find these number published at? Link?? :)

Devin2009

It is very slow for whatever reason right now. I have hunted hard an have yet to see a buck and only a few does, but at night they are all over the side of the roads.

landman

GW just told Montgomery Co was the number
1 county for buck kills on Saturday, just like
last year. But if I remember right it was
down about 30%

TboneD

landman":wzp8cmjl said:
GW just told Montgomery Co was the number
1 county for buck kills on Saturday, just like
last year. But if I remember right it was
down about 30%

Not surprised at all. Big bucks make for pulled triggers and if it's down 30% I wonder what we'd attribute that to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepKuntry

I didn't hunt Saturday morning. I am bow hunting and don't hunt with a bow in the rain. But I did drive by the tva land I hunt, 4 vehicles at 8:30 in the morning. Hunted yesterday till 11:45, heard 1 shot all morning. It's been a few years since I've hunting on public land during ML & Gun, but it used to sound like a war zone opening weekend. I'd like to know how down license sales are this year as well.

megalomaniac

That is more than a little concerning....

Way too much of a drop to be weather related alone... way too much to be the 2 buck limit alone... I hope it isn't a reflection of the population decline... but it's probably a combination of all 3.

IF the population isn't down that much... we may very well be in for one of the best gun seasons we've had since the modern and smokeless muzzleloader era and the extension of ML from 1 week to 2 weeks. If that many more bucks DO remain in the herd, the competition for does should make for some really fun hunts during the rut!

TJS209

JeepKuntry":2cfbccze said:
I didn't hunt Saturday morning. I am bow hunting and don't hunt with a bow in the rain. But I did drive by the tva land I hunt, 4 vehicles at 8:30 in the morning. Hunted yesterday till 11:45, heard 1 shot all morning. It's been a few years since I've hunting on public land during ML & Gun, but it used to sound like a war zone opening weekend. I'd like to know how down license sales are this year as well.

I'd like to know license sales as well.

Bone Collector

I saw deer on almost every sit. the one I did not, my brother was 250 yds away and saw 5.

the guy behind me that has not hunted since I've owned my land (he bought his a year after me) either decided this is the year to start or let someone out there. Whoever it was shot 4 times Sunday morning between 7:15 and 7:40, then went silent. I assume they tagged out. I'm also completely assuming here, but my theory on the last volley of shots (3 in about 5 minutes) is that he shot one of the does carrying 2 fawns (yeah they are still together at my place) and when the fawns didn't run he shot a fawn a minute or so after his 2nd shot. Then I figure the other one ran and he reloaded, but then the fawn came back a couple of minutes later and he shot it too.... Of course I have no way of being sure, but I figure it was something along that line.

Southern Sportsman

Am I mis-remembering or was ML a week later last year? If so, I wonder if starting one week closer to full swing rut makes that much difference.

redblood

well i think there were several factors. number one was lower limit. hunters are just not going to spend a tag, this far ahead of the rut unless it is a good deer. so so weather on saturday probably also played a factor as did a very late rut

southernhunter

What's going on ? I pulled the cam cards today thinking it would have picked up. I got nothing to speak of again. This is the worst year I have had since running cams.

Latest posts