Ok crappie guys……

bluball

I'm not sure why a livescoper would be catching a boatload of dinks. You can tell how big the fish is and if you waste your time fishing for dinks you won't catch the big ones. We don't even waste our time fishing for dinks. What's the point? That's time I can spend looking for and fishing for known keepers.
Yep,dont see any of these no livescopers winning any crappie tournaments🤣

Crow Terminator

Shoot, I don't think I'll ever sat down to the supper table with crappie on the menu and said "I'm not going to enjoy eating this as much because I didn't see it bite on a screen or it fought like a shoe". Lol. Trolling for fish is always boring but it works, and I've always been the kind of guy that if it works, I don't try to fix it. Heck I enjoy eating crappie even when somebody else has caught them.

bluball

No clue it just seemed they couldn't keep away from the small ones. They had to go through lots of shorts to get a few tanks and it was opposite for us. The guys who could wear them out before live scope would really hammer them with it. Maybe seeing the piles of fish just makes it hard for some to leave a spot. After all, you're watching your bait drop right in front of their face so why won't they bite? I imagine it's super frustrating watching it, It's bad enough when I can't see it lol.

Lol it kind of boils down to that though. I don't like them but they are pretty cool and can be useful.
When i first got livescope i would turn it off.I could catch crappie way faster with it off.Seeing the
lol they did last year on st johns pulling specs out of pads with cane poles.
Yep one out of a 100🤣🤣🤣how much has jefferies won,lol.🤣🤣🤣

bluball

Shoot, I don't think I'll ever sat down to the supper table with crappie on the menu and said "I'm not going to enjoy eating this as much because I didn't see it bite on a screen or it fought like a shoe". Lol. Trolling for fish is always boring but it works, and I've always been the kind of guy that if it works, I don't try to fix it. Heck I enjoy eating crappie even when somebody else has caught them.
Thats why i still do it all,but prefer livescope.I can single pole jig,cast a jig or float setup,pull jigs,pull cranks,spiderrig and have also pulled planer boards before.My favorite is 2 pole spiderrigging anymore though.I can set back enjoy the day and usually catch a limit.Yes i can catch a limit faster casting or vertical jigging one pole.

Spurhunter

From an eating standpoint you're right. It doesn't matter how you caught them or who caught them. But I catch way more than I can eat however I fish so I'm going to fish the most enjoyable way. I give away more than I eat.

agelessssone

I'm no expert by any means but I am catching 14 to 16 inch white crappie right now when my livescope buddies are doing good to catch 7 to 9 inch black crappie and wondering what the heck I am doing different and how I'm catching fish without live scope. From here on thru the fall when the water dips into the 50s I am pulling crankbaits and covering lots of water. I'm watching a screen...but it's a split screen of the lake mapping and down scan. I'm following contours and fishing flats and some ledges. The fish I catch are scattered. Catch a couple in one spot...make a few more passes and once that Peter's out, keep moving. Get a couple more. I may only get 7 to 10 fish in a morning trip but they'll be sure nuff big uns that you don't even have to measure to know they are keepers. It gets better in the fall when they start really bunching up again. Some of those days will keep you REAL busy on the crankbait rods. Note the screen shot of my down imaging. Note that fish to the left of it...but hardly nothing actually in cover. That's a crappie hotel thing I sunk . You can see my trolling lanes on the map...following an old creek channel. View attachment 185484View attachment 185483
When I used to fish for crappie, trolling crankbaits was a summer staple.
The wife and I decided we didn't like to eat crappie so I quit fishing for them about 6 years ago.
If we want a fish dinner, it's yellow bass and/or LM bass.
Ditch pickles are our favorite!!

redblood

When I used to fish for crappie, trolling crankbaits was a summer staple.
The wife and I decided we didn't like to eat crappie so I quit fishing for them about 6 years ago.
If we want a fish dinner, it's yellow bass and/or LM bass.
Ditch pickles are our favorite!!
You are the 1st person i ever beard say they didnt like crappie. Bass are good too- i will keep spotter bass but release LM and SM. Rock bass and bluegill are great too

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
You are the 1st person i ever beard say they didnt like crappie. Bass are good too- i will keep spotter bass but release LM and SM. Rock bass and bluegill are great too
I have said many times crappie, when filleted, are the blandest fish I have ever ate.
Bream bass and catfish are above them to me.

WTM

I have said many times crappie, when filleted, are the blandest fish I have ever ate.
Bream bass and catfish are above them to me.
yeah i dont care for them much either unless they are close to the 10" size. cant keep the big ones from falling apart. usually just strip them up.

they are kind of slimy and fishy stink. i can filet a dozen or so and smell like ive been working in a fish house all day. bluegill just dont have that real fishy smell.

woodsman04

Never heard anyone say they don't like crappie. And it don't matter to me what month, it's all good.

That being said
# 1 whole breams/shellcracker
2 fillet breams/shellcracker
3 crappie
4 anything of the black bass
5 blue and flathead cats
6 the rest

I don't have enough Sauger or Walleye to catch and try.

agelessssone

Lol no way I could take that.
Many times people are watching fish on Livescope and bemoaning the fact the "fish won't bite".
Quite often it's because what they are seeing is non-game fish who are curious to the bait but have no intention in biting.
I guide and fish probably 150-200 days a year and have had Livescope since day one so, needless to say, I have seen a LOT of fish swim across my screens.
My 8612 GPSMAP feeds a 21" NBT Marine screen so I have fantastic resolution.
On more than one occasion I've had a screen full of fish of varying sizes but all ignored my jig, spoon, bait.
When that happens, I realize I am probably looking at different year class of shad. I've thrown a castnet in those situations and pulled in shad from 5" up to 14".
That's when you know it's time to move along and find a different group of fish.

bluball

yeah i dont care for them much either unless they are close to the 10" size. cant keep the big ones from falling apart. usually just strip them up.

they are kind of slimy and fishy stink. i can filet a dozen or so and smell like ive been working in a fish house all day. bluegill just dont have that real fishy smell.
Black stick really bad to me
I only eat crappie that are caught between November and February. A crappie caught in July is awful.
Summer crappie arnt as good as winter crappie i agree.But if you put the summer directly on ice they are pretty good,just not as good at cold weather crappie.

Crow Terminator

That's what I was about to post...summer or warm weather fish is all about how you handle them after the catch. If you throw em in a live well in 90+ degree water for a few hours they are going to be mushy and taste bad. I make a water/ice mix with rock salt added and they go straight into it.

Trout are hands down the nastiest freshwater fish to my taste buds. I do enjoy fishing for them though and catching them. Especially this time of the year when I get out in the water and wade fish. Great way to stay cool in the summer. I have to be really really hungry to want to eat one though. Yellow Perch and walleye are probably my two favorites to eat.

Latest posts