Ok saltwater guys

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I am going to have a slab of red snapper soon.
Logistics demand it will be frozen for about a week.
What's the best way to cook it ?
Never had it or cooked it before.

batten_down

Deep fried fingers in beer batter with homemade tartar sauce. Slaw on the side. Hushpuppies. And cold beverage of your choosing.

reliable

Under the broiler with light olive oil and generous oregano. Flip when top starts to brown.

Put very thin slab of sweet onion, bell pepper and tomato on top. Broil some more. Top with provolone cheese when it looks done, let cheese melt to a bubble.

Serve over angel hair pasta.

Pilchard

Any way you like to eat fish!

I'd take a look at the piece of fish you get before deciding what to do with it. Cut away any blood line that's in the filet.

Hopefully you get enough that you get to try it a couple different ways.

If grilled, salt, pepper garlic and fresh squeeze of lemon right before you take it off.

Pan sear with white wine, lemon and capers over pasta.

Cut into fingers and fry.

Broil with garlic, butter and herbs.

Blackened- use unsalted butter in a very hot skillet…add a mango or pineapple salsa on a flour tortilla.

Call me crazy but if you like sushi… try it raw with a little soy sauce and a thin slice of fresh jalapeño.

Dbllunger

Any way you like to eat fish!

I'd take a look at the piece of fish you get before deciding what to do with it. Cut away any blood line that's in the filet.

Hopefully you get enough that you get to try it a couple different ways.

If grilled, salt, pepper garlic and fresh squeeze of lemon right before you take it off.

Pan sear with white wine, lemon and capers over pasta.

Cut into fingers and fry.

Broil with garlic, butter and herbs.

Blackened- use unsalted butter in a very hot skillet…add a mango or pineapple salsa on a flour tortilla.

Call me crazy but if you like sushi… try it raw with a little soy sauce and a thin slice of fresh jalapeño.
forrest gump cooking GIF

yesmarwh

2-Step Enabled
Blackened for sure. Chef Paul Prudhoe makes a great blackened seasoning. Its cheeper to get it in large canister on his web site, then the small bottles you get in the store. You can use it for blackened chicken and prim rib.

TNReb

Do whatever YOU like.. but I personally wouldn't fry it. You can fry anything and it'll taste good. Don't waste the snapper like that!

I like it blackened.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I rub olive oil on the top and season the filet with salt and dill weed. I put mine on a piece of foil on top of a cookie sheet after spraying the foil with cooking oil. I bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes then switch from bake to broiler for about 3-4 minutes. Time would vary depending on the size; this is for a filet that is maybe (?) 1-1/2 inches at its thickest point. I keep an eye on it because I'm not real sure what the cooking time requirements are...

Grouper throats are a different story; I've only had them fried.

Last edited:

Coltens

We usually pan fry it and then make a creamy butter sauce in the pan and serve it over rice. Red Snapper is one of my favorite meals.

Latest posts