Ok bullet / powder combinations for Savage ML10

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Alright let's hear what powder and bullet combinations result in the best groups and more importantly the best performance on punching a hole in a deer. :D

This is gonna be fun.

ewc

Hard to beat 42-44 gr of SR-4759 or VV-N110 - Expect 2,250-2,450 fps with a 250 SST.

If you can stand the recoil, 72-76 gr H4198 will take you to 2,700 fps with a 250 SST, but the recoil at 76 gr. is STOUT.

Another sleeper is Alliant 10x.

Use the top suggestion until you get a hang of things.

Good luck and remember to keep your sabots cool.

Kevin B.

Ruger, these guns are tested at the factory using 42 grains of IMR4759 or VV N-110 with a short black MMP sabot and a 250 xtp (.452). Not the xtp mags. The 250 SST, as suggested by ewc, is also a great bullet that will perform very close to an xtp. It's best to get a good base load to fall back on cause when you start experimenting, and it's likely you will, you can always go to your 'go to' load. There is a forum dedicated to the Savage ML2 and there is a massive amount of good knowledge and sound instruction to be had there. Doug's Message Board Hope this helps.

ewc

First off, Kevin know his stuff as well as anyone here that has shot a 10ml2.

I think he reached 3K with his .45 - correct me if I'm wrong Kevin.

His advice is spot on.

renegade50-

You will find a very accurate load with that powder up until your shoulder tell you to stop. I liked the speed, but hated the recoil (which I found worse than a 3" shotgun slug or a 300 RUM loaded heavy).

That is why I bought an aftermarket .40 barrel and shoot 200 gr bullets - I can shoot faster, with a better bc, and not have the ferocious recoil.

The .40 200sst at 2,950 is like a .270 to me.

Tiny

Ruger,

Saw your other post you like it and congrats.

IMR-SR 4759,Lee Powder 4.3 around 43grs,Barnes 245gr SpitFire Yellow Sabot, MMP Sub Base,and Winchester Standard 209, 3/4" on avg when I do my part @ 100 yards. Have shot better than that,the largest group was with that combo was 1.5 and was done when sighting it in. I have seen no need in weighing charges as yet but do plan on doing so,could be scarey good.

The 250 gr Expander isn't bad either but I haven't shot them enough in it,nor have yet to get a chance to try out the Tipped Spit Fires.

Good Luck.

Excellant advice above BTW.

ewc

RW couldn't hold my keys-

Chuck Hawk is an idiot too-.

Careful who your internet icons are.

There are more people on this site that have more experience than those two could muster for a sandwich.

fullstream

Re: Ok bullet / powder combinations for Savage ML1

Ruger, i have found great accuracy as well as 4bang flops last year with 60 gns of n120 and 300 barnes exp. Have also grouped real well (no kills yet) with 58 gns n120 and 300 sst's.

MRUTVOL

fullstream said:
Ruger, i have found great accuracy as well as 4bang flops last year with 60 gns of n120 and 300 barnes exp. Have also grouped real well (no kills yet) with 58 gns n120 and 300 sst's.

Ditto!

Ruger as you can see there are a lot of different powders and loads that you can use but just remember cause it works in one does not mean it will be the best in yours . You will just have to try it and see which works best. It is not just the powder or bullet combinations but also the sabots you use. To me anyway that is about as key to that guns performance as any of the 3 aspects. You can break the bank trying all those different powders and bullets if you are not careful! :eek:
I would pick a couple powders and bullets and see how they perform. Unless you want to be a fanatic about accuracy, as some are, you should be able to work you up a quality hunting load that will do the job for you out to 250 yds or more with lots of practice. I have 2 guns and I shoot the same powder load which is 60grns VV-N120 but use a different bullet in each . One loves the barnes xpander in 250 or 300 grains but the other gun will not group them well so I shoot a 300 grn barnes 4570 in a orange sabot. There is plenty of helpful info out there on the gun and lots of ideas on getting the best out of it. As you will learn there is more to it than just pouring powder and pushing a bullet down the barrel. Ventliners and breechplugs come into play also but that is for another thread!

Good Luck Ruger!

Huntaholic

47 gr. 5744, Hornady 250 gr XTP, MMP black sabot is what works for me. YES there are hotter loads out there, but this one shoots EXCELLENT for me.

ewc

Very good advice above about the VV-N-120 and AA-5744. Both of those powders and loads should get you there-

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

Wow.
This is gonna be interesting. :D
Thanks so much to everyone that has given me advice.

Polecat

I haven't found any need to go past the factory standard. 42grs on VV-N100, a fed 209 primer, MMP sabot and a Hornady 250gr XTP. Prob will give the SST a run this year. Just hate on working up new loads when it's warm out.

Polecat

Hey, not to change the subject but I found some new antlers.

Looks like I made 10 point with that last post.

Latest posts