Offset bbq cooker/smoker suggestions?

TN Song Dog

Looking for suggestions on a reverse flow offset stick and charcoal burning type bbq/smoker/cooker. Good size back yard model, but not a huge competition trailer type. What is the best bang for the buck? Would want something that would hold heat and regulate air flow and temp well. Looking forward to suggestions. Thanks

mike243

Folks seem to like Shirley , looks to be well built to last a lifetime. love the food off of them but baby setting any smoker for 8-16 hrs aint for me, I would like to have a insulated cabinet smoker, either a basket or a self feeding model. buy once cry once but theres a lot of good choices out there

TN Song Dog

mike243":3altz9y3 said:
Folks seem to like Shirley , looks to be well built to last a lifetime. love the food off of them but baby setting any smoker for 8-16 hrs aint for me, I would like to have a insulated cabinet smoker, either a basket or a self feeding model. buy once cry once but theres a lot of good choices out there

Thanks Mike. Can you give examples of self feeding models? Not familiar with that.

mike243

I will have to look, insulated cabinets are fuel efficient, you throw wood chunks in for the smoke. If I had the $ its as close to set and forget with better smoke flavor than a pellet grill. look over on the smoking meat forums, they have different sections and a lot more knowledge than I will ever have, I go by the same name there also.

mike243

Masterbuilt has come out with a cheap and easy to operate self feed, it has a firebox issue but for $500 its hard to beat, can be 600+ degree's in minutes they say, they have some fixes for the firebox so still not a bad deal if you upgrade the chut to heavier metal or stainless

Mud Creek

Oklahoma Joe's are great but are known to leak like crazy. You can buy mods for them(lava lock) to help. Some people swear that enough smoking will seal it on it's own and that does help but most people I know have to buy the lava lock. Also a charcoal and wood basket to put in the firebox helps with clean up. Langs are a little pricey but worth it. Maybe look into a Old Country Pecos or Old Country Wrangler. They are good smokers the only "issue" is you will have to add your own temp gauge. It's no issue for me because most store bought smokers the gauge isn't at grate level anyway which is important IMO

Pennywise67

Well if you want a insulated cabinet smoker than take a look a Humphreys. I own their battle box model, cooks very well and very efficient. Just ran it Friday night 8pm until 2pm Saturday on less than 15lbs of charcoal. stayed right at 228 the whole night without a adjustment. I can cook 3 briskets on racks.

-Larry

Latest posts