Oaks - What types you recommend?

BlountArrow

I posted this in the Food Plots forum, but that might not have been the best place:

If you could only plant (2) or (3) varieties of Oaks on your place what would it be. I'm going to buy a couple hundred and am trying to decide what I'll plant. Unfortunately most of the area they will be planted in is void of oaks completely and any good mast for deer. So, what (2) or (3) varieties would you choose? It seems like the buzz is all about Sawtooths these days but what else; what say you experts?

treefarmer

Before you buy so many seedlings, check with your area forester, Ag. Extension agent, or look at nearby properties to see what oaks they recommend. If you plant any tree on the wrong site it will not thrive. On my ridge tops Chestnut and Post oaks do well because they are drought tolerant, 50-100 yards away on the mid and lower slopes White Oaks do well because there is more moisture. I have planted a number of trees and shrubs expecting great things only to be very disapponted when after several tries, the trees withered and died. Frequently foresters will recommend a mix of trees for a site, to insure against total failure. Sawtooths bear acorns in maybe 5 years, regular oaks take maybe 25 years. Check the TDOF seedlings at: http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publicati ... atalog.pdf

BlountArrow

treefarmer said:
Before you buy so many seedlings, check with your area forester, Ag. Extension agent, or look at nearby properties to see what oaks they recommend. If you plant any tree on the wrong site it will not thrive. On my ridge tops Chestnut and Post oaks do well because they are drought tolerant, 50-100 yards away on the mid and lower slopes White Oaks do well because there is more moisture. I have planted a number of trees and shrubs expecting great things only to be very disapponted when after several tries, the trees withered and died. Frequently foresters will recommend a mix of trees for a site, to insure against total failure. Sawtooths bear acorns in maybe 5 years, regular oaks take maybe 25 years. Check the TDOF seedlings at: http://www.tn.gov/agriculture/publicati ... atalog.pdf

Good point. Fortunately, I have a nice mixture on the property of areas where the soil maybe moister all year long and then areas where the soil is well drained; have a nice mix of that. So I guess the area I'm targeting has kind of an area where there would be adequate moisture almost all the time. Don't get that confused with marshy or swampy or areas that are constantly wet but yes adequate moisture for sure.

Doskil

Sawtooths aren't native but I would plant a few anyway.

White oak and northern red oak seem to grow very nicely in eastern Tennessee.

pass-thru

I don't do non-natives so would not consider sawtooth. I have planted several dozen white oak and southern red oaks over the last 10 years. They both do great in my area and have sufficient tap roots to survive extended dry periods.

However, if you are planting areas not already forested, scarlett oak or northern red oak maybe options to consider as they are considered pioneer species....they do well in areas not previously forested. They also get big fast and hit prime at about 100 years. They don't have a tap root so don't do well in drought.

Hunter 257W

I planted the following oaks: Bur, Sawtooth, Dwarf Chinkapin, White, Swamp White and Shumard. These are in different locations on the farm with at least 10 of each and were planted according to the locations conditions. Some were planted in 2009 - most in Jan 2011. The 1st batch were planted in a pasture with not tree tubes, no fetrtilize and no grass control. They have barely grown. The 2011 trees have trippled in height because they do have tubes, fertilize and weed control. Still too soon to have acorns though obviously. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd plant a variety and not put all your eggs in one basket.

Latest posts