If you have not burned

mcbuck58

Video worked for me. Yes wind look like it was kicking pretty good. Just got done setting up a 15.8 acre woods burn. Was gonna fire up tonight but I'm gonna wait for tomorrow night. My farm is in KY and it is a hard state to burn in cause they have a two season burn ban. October 1st to December 15th and February 15th to April 30th. During those two times no fire within 150' of a woodland from 6am to 6pm. So during that time need to have small fast fires cause humidity rising when it's getting dark. Kind of sucks.

Quailman

Video worked for me. Yes wind look like it was kicking pretty good. Just got done setting up a 15.8 acre woods burn. Was gonna fire up tonight but I'm gonna wait for tomorrow night. My farm is in KY and it is a hard state to burn in cause they have a two season burn ban. October 1st to December 15th and February 15th to April 30th. During those two times no fire within 150' of a woodland from 6am to 6pm. So during that time need to have small fast fires cause humidity rising when it's getting dark. Kind of sucks.
Wow I didn't realize Kentucky was that restrictive, especially with their very proactive private lands efforts across the state!

And yes, the wind kicked up a few times on the early afternoon burns but died down of course later in the evening. This video is what it was like within another hour and a half.

Attachments

• RXBurn1.MOV
    24.3 MB

BSK

Have I ever mentioned I don't like working with fire?

I was working on a project today where the property has several large pastures being converted to warm-season grasses. I was working in one of those fields today when I get a call from the one of the ranch hands. "Are you working in the South tall-grass pasture?" Me: "Yes." Ranch hand: "Well, um... we just set it on fire."

And it was a head fire. Backed by a good breeze. I could hear the roar of it coming before I could see it. Eventually I could see a 20-foot flame wall with fire tornadoes spinning out in front of it. Damn. The ranch hands spent the rest of the day trying to put out fires that jumped the 20-foot-wide firebreaks. It was so hot, the tops of trees were bursting into flames.

Attachments

• Fire1.jpg
    Fire1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Fire2.jpg
    Fire2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 18

JCDEERMAN

Wow I didn't realize Kentucky was that restrictive, especially with their very proactive private lands efforts across the state!

And yes, the wind kicked up a few times on the early afternoon burns but died down of course later in the evening. This video is what it was like within another hour and a half.
That's more to my liking

JCDEERMAN

I was working on a project today where the property has several large pastures being converted to warm-season grasses. I was working in one of those fields today when I get a call from the one of the ranch hands. "Are you working in the South tall-grass pasture?" Me: "Yes." Ranch hand: "Well, um... we just set it on fire."

And it was a head fire. Backed by a good breeze. I could hear the roar of it coming before I could see it. Eventually I could see a 20-foot flame wall with fire tornadoes spinning out in front of it. Damn. The ranch hands spent the rest of the day trying to put out fires that jumped the 20-foot-wide firebreaks. It was so hot, the tops of trees were bursting into flames.
Have they ever done this before? Did they not have a backing fire creating a black line before setting a head fire, especially a native grass field, on this windy day? If not, that's a recipe for a wildfire

BSK

Have they ever done this before? Did they not have a backing fire creating a black line before setting a head fire, especially a native grass field, on this windy day? If not, that's a recipe for a wildfire
No backing fire. Head fire easily jumped a literal 20-foot-wide fire break. Got into the woods and burned off and on all day. While they were busy with the forest fires, I ended up having to put out numerous fires that got out of the field and into the leaves in the ditches along a public road. Those ditch fires were headed towards all the neighbors' properties and had nothing to stop them.

And I was just there mapping...

JCDEERMAN

No backing fire. Head fire easily jumped a literal 20-foot-wide fire break. Got into the woods and burned off and on all day. While they were busy with the forest fires, I ended up having to put out numerous fires that got out of the field and into the leaves in the ditches along a public road. Those ditch fires were headed towards all the neighbors' properties and had nothing to stop them.

That's completely reckless. Jumping 20' fire breaks does not surprise me at all with not only a field head fire, but especially the wind we had yesterday.

mcbuck58

Burned 3-28 15.8 acres.
Easy burn to set up. Surrounded by firelanes which were mowed last September. Same deal as before took JD riding lawn mower and made two passes to blow off leaves. One straight firelane is part of west boundary line about 1200' long. This fire had a monster head fire, for a woods burn lots of leaves and it ran up hill.
IMG_6777.jpeg
IMG_6778.jpeg
IMG_6779.jpeg
IMG_6780.jpeg
IMG_6781.jpeg
IMG_6782.jpeg
IMG_6783.jpeg
IMG_6784.jpeg

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places

When pine trees start crowning :oops: its time to be gone! Exciting and fearful all at the same time ;) but the fire master must remain calm and in charge. :cool:

Quailman

Yeah, that's ridiculous! No doubt burning outside of prescription, if they even had one. And then to not know the locations of other people on the property prior to the burn??!

Sounds like winds were high with low Rh. That's a recipe for disaster. And no backing fire prior to the headfire? Even on the burns we did in Illinois, we had wide disked firebreaks and had burned at least 20-30 foot of black with a backing fire before we lit the headfire.

Glad you made it out unscathed!

Latest posts