If you have not burned

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Good to know plus saves me some money in not buying seed. Do you Bush hog it every year in the spring?
I try to burn every third year, in thirds or close proximity. If for some reason I do t get it burned or it just isn't gonna carry a fire I will mow it. A few really rough or swampy areas I will let go till a logger gets interested or I run a dozer thru it.

G@TOR

Depending on how good the soil is (disked vs dozer-scraped), could be about anything. I would generally steer away from grains (grasses) unless you plan to freshen it up before the next burn. Those fine fuels can be a problem for sure.
Thats something I didn't think about, future burning. My property is all mature hardwoods with the exception of two small food plots. One is an acre, and the other is two acres.

backyardtndeer

Haven't intentionally burned off leaves or plots this year, but still have a fire going where my garbage somehow jumped to the woods back on Wednesday. The heavy rain last night didn't put it out, so kept feeding it this morning.

Killed a beech tree that was too close, but we have quite a few other beech trees around. Cut up and moved a lot of deadfall trees with the tractor and dragged limbs trying to clean up. Wasn't really the ideal spot, but had some pretty big trees fairly close that had been hit by lightning or blown down that needed taken care of.

Have several more piles to burn, but will get to them when I can, and with those being in hilly hardwoods I will cut a break or push in the leaves before those get going.

backyardtndeer

Just walked back down there, maybe it will still be going in the morning.
20240323_171319_HDR.jpg

JCDEERMAN

Burning is one of the best and most useful tools in the habitat manager's arsenal. Yet it is the tool I will only use as a last resort! I HATE working with fire, especially in hilly hardwoods.
It's not as bad as you think. Next time we do one, you're more than welcome to come hang out and watch. We did a 4 acre section in 1h annd 13m and a 7 acre section Thursday in 1h 20m. After a few burns, it becomes second nature

BSK

I enjoy the tactics/challenge of burning in ridge and holler country... most of the time, anyways
When you're working with slopes so steep you have to crawl up them on your hands and knees, the upslope wind created by a fire can be pretty intimidating. I've seen trickling fires turn into raging infernos in a matter of minutes.

MickThompson

When you're working with slopes so steep you have to crawl up them on your hands and knees, the upslope wind created by a fire can be pretty intimidating. I've seen trickling fires turn into raging infernos in a matter of minutes.
We back it down til it finds fuel too wet to carry in those spots

BSK

We back it down til it finds fuel too wet to carry in those spots
I've seen slow fires backing into the wind suddenly flare back up the slope because the upslope wind increased fire temperature until suddenly fuel not consumable by a "cool" fire becomes consumable by a hot fire.

deerhunter10

Where we let our fields grow up every year we are going to get them on a rotation of burning starting next year. Have done a little with fire but not a ton. Love seeing it.

Boll Weevil

I'd also love to burn our hardwoods but have no clue where to start
I've got hardwood SMZs running up into my pine stands and we both blew in breaks AND blew fuel out from around the hardwoods…especially those we wanted to keep. I know there are fire-adapted hardwood species but many of those are from a bygone era when folks ran fire through'em frequently (think savanna). I'd be worried frequent fire thru a hardwood stand might cause problems (based on the current dominant species)…especially if it got too hot.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I've got hardwood SMZs running up into my pine stands and we both blew in breaks AND blew fuel out from around the hardwoods…especially those we wanted to keep. I know there are fire-adapted hardwood species but many of those are from a bygone era when folks ran fire through'em frequently (think savanna). I'd be worried frequent fire thru a hardwood stand might cause problems (based on the current dominant species)…especially if it got too hot.
Your worry is well placed. Frequent burns will damage most hardwood stands. Trees with previous damage of any kind near the soil line will be harmed more deeply. Burns in hardwood stands are more about wildlife and not at all about timber. BUT log a place out, wait 3 years and burn out the trash is just good all around. Blowing out around good timber is a good practice but time consuming too. You will still catch a root on fire from time to time that ends up at the base of a big oak or poplar.

mcbuck58

Burned 3/14 evening 18.12 acres. It was an easy burn to set up. Had already moved dead material from the edges and cut down dead trees around perimeter. The burn area was surrounded by firelanes (old logging roads I mow once a year) and since this area was close to house I just used my JD riding lawn mower (54") to blow the leaves out. Set the backfire to north and east sides (had a southwest wind) with drip torch riding ranger. Waited about 45 minutes saw back fire in enough so took drip torch riding ranger and set head fire. Started at 6pm back in house by 8:30pm. Had a couple of trees candleling but they were not by any edge. Another plus was it started raining at midnight.

IMG_6585.jpeg
IMG_6587.jpeg
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_6588.jpeg
IMG_6589.jpeg

Quailman

FINALLY! We had a chance to burn on the Illinois farm this past weekend. Had planned on it a few weeks ago but just didn't have enough people and equipment to do it safely. Went back up with a full crew and the right equipment. Winds were pretty high on Saturday morning, so we focused on putting in additional firebreaks and did a little shed hunting as well. Winds decreased a bit in the afternoon and humidity was in the mid to upper 30's when we started, which was the low RH for the day.

It's really tough to burn on this farm because it's in the river bottoms and usually pretty wet this time of year. It's been unusually dry up there, and fuel loads were pretty heavy with all of the rank vegetation in these fields from years of growth. My goal was to get rid of the rank vegetation and reduce stem density so I can start spraying these fields to set back succession a good bit. The burn went great without a problem, and it was about 50 acres total across 4 different fields. And don't worry about those trees being hurt in those pics! Primarily silver maple, sweetgum, and cottonwood, so they need to go! I'm sure most of the saplings were only top killed, but at least it starts the process of getting rid of them.

Attachments

• Farm_Rx1.JPG
    Farm_Rx1.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 26
  • Farm_Rx2.JPG
    Farm_Rx2.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Farm_Rx3.JPG
    Farm_Rx3.JPG
    637.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Farm_Rx4.JPG
    Farm_Rx4.JPG
    579.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Farm_Rx5.JPG
    Farm_Rx5.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 27

mcbuck58

FINALLY! We had a chance to burn on the Illinois farm this past weekend. Had planned on it a few weeks ago but just didn't have enough people and equipment to do it safely. Went back up with a full crew and the right equipment. Winds were pretty high on Saturday morning, so we focused on putting in additional firebreaks and did a little shed hunting as well. Winds decreased a bit in the afternoon and humidity was in the mid to upper 30's when we started, which was the low RH for the day.

It's really tough to burn on this farm because it's in the river bottoms and usually pretty wet this time of year. It's been unusually dry up there, and fuel loads were pretty heavy with all of the rank vegetation in these fields from years of growth. My goal was to get rid of the rank vegetation and reduce stem density so I can start spraying these fields to set back succession a good bit. The burn went great without a problem, and it was about 50 acres total across 4 different fields. And don't worry about those trees being hurt in those pics! Primarily silver maple, sweetgum, and cottonwood, so they need to go! I'm sure most of the saplings were only top killed, but at least it starts the process of getting rid of them.
Looks good Quailman. What county? Hunted IL for about 40 years in Kankakee and Iroquois county. Also hunted southern IL. Burned thousands of acres in IL assisting IL DNR and IL TNC. Worked for IN DNR for 10 years and wildland fire trained so burned thousands of acres there also and assisted IN TNC burning. Have not hunted IL or IN in five years but need to find a place to hunt (deer and turkey) cause I have the lifetime license in both states.

Quailman

Looks good Quailman. What county? Hunted IL for about 40 years in Kankakee and Iroquois county. Also hunted southern IL. Burned thousands of acres in IL assisting IL DNR and IL TNC. Worked for IN DNR for 10 years and wildland fire trained so burned thousands of acres there also and assisted IN TNC burning. Have not hunted IL or IN in five years but need to find a place to hunt (deer and turkey) cause I have the lifetime license in both states.
We hunt down in the SE part of the state, and I've owned a farm down there for just over 20 years. Bought it when I actually lived in Southern Indiana around Stendal, where I worked as a biologist and regional director for Quail Unlimited.

Latest posts