Oak tree identification

agelessssone

Two trees, fifty yards apart, different size acorns.
Can't seem to find a good ID chart for the leaves.
Help?
They look quite similar but the spikes on the leaves are a bit different. One is sharp, the other is more smooth.
And is the small size due to heat/lack of rain?

Attachments

• 20230906_110603.jpg
    20230906_110603.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 20230906_110552.jpg
    20230906_110552.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 168

@fulldraw

One on right is definitely Chinquapin Oak. Left is most likely the same just stressed or suppressed. Would be nice to see bark/trunk.

Snake

All White oak species leaves have rounded lobes.

All Red oak species leaves have pointed lobes.

I learned that in Boy Scouts in the 60's, I don't think it has changed.

I mean the oak species; I know the Boy Scouts have changed. :eek:
There are exceptions though . That's the rule I always went by but isn't the Pin oak a white oak by classification ? Anyways there was an oak species on our lease in Giles that had leaves kinda like a saw blade but the bark said it was a white oak.

BSK

There are exceptions though . That's the rule I always went by but isn't the Pin oak a white oak by classification ? Anyways there was an oak species on our lease in Giles that had leaves kinda like a saw blade but the bark said it was a white oak.
Could be Swamp White Oak or Swamp Chestnut.

No, Pin Oak is a Red Oak.

rodeojoe

Here is one of the guides I use from time to time: https://mdflora.org/Resources/Documents/YearofOak/USFSOaksfieldguide.pdf

Oaks are tricky and sometimes the small details make the difference. There's several oaks that look somewhat similar but they grow in different types of soils.

I really found this guide super interesting.
I installed and finished hardwood floors for about 30 years. (bad back)
I could pretty much figure the species of wood floor for matching. Lower grades look much different than higher grades of flooring.
General categories for oak are red and white. It is easy to tell if it is a Chinese species too.
All those years and I never bothered to look at a guide like that. I don't know why?

LY

Area of state and terrain is a great way to narrow things down.

Chinkapin is typically found in Middle TN with shallow rocky soil and usually associated with Cedars.

Latest posts