White Oak question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
One of my bosses told me this morning he has a white oak tree in his yard.
He has lived there 35 years and he has NEVER seen an acorn on or under this tree.
He said this year it is LOADED and acorns are everywhere under it.
Deer are tearing it up.

How is this possible?
Why would it never produce and all of a sudden it does?

The tree was basically full grown when he moved there.

Southern Sportsman

Plants have the ability to alter their reproductive cycle when placed under stress. If conditions are poor, and the plant might die, it will produce more seed to reproduce itself from. Perhaps that tree has been stressed.
Interesting. I would have thought just the opposite -- i.e., that a stressed tree would produce less or no mast.

BSK

Interesting. I would have thought just the opposite -- i.e., that a stressed tree would produce less or no mast.
It's all about survival of the genetic lineage. If a plant encounters conditions that might kill it, it will produce more seed. Some apple growers will intentionally stress their trees so they produce more fruit.

redblood

It's all about survival of the genetic lineage. If a plant encounters conditions that might kill it, it will produce more seed. Some apple growers will intentionally stress their trees so they produce more fruit.
stressed based propagation. i still remember Dr. Anderson mumbling that in forestry class a quarter century ago

Latest posts