Oak ridge

Gmed

If you get selected you will be notified and the same if they cancel. Received letters both times. If you enjoy people watching, it's the place to be, however, it's the closest WMA to me and it offers a chance to "get out of town" a couple days….

mike243

It started taking me 2 years to draw and then they canceled the last 2 years, looks like some folks put in for the all doe hunt when it started out by not paying attention, good luck

Bone Collector

I haven't done it yet, but I am thinking about it. I have a bunch of points, but am not sure if I want to use them or hold out for PI. PI reports have been bad to fair since the flood. Would still probably have a 5-7 year wait to draw it. I would hate to wait that long and have it close before I get it or just get there and it is a ghost of its prior self.

This place hasn't been hunted legally since 2019, so I think the feeling is the deer will be less spooky and will have at least 2 extra years of growing. However reports here say that it is tough terrain, and they let like 450-500 people in per hunt. with limited space and rough terrain many people probably hunt from the ground and move around a lot, thus the "people watching" comments.

JeepKuntry

Best of luck. I put in for a couple hunts there. Have 2 points. Honestly expect them to cancel on the hunts again but it's close to home, and the only hunt that really interests me. You can eventually see things online and they email successful or unsuccessful.

killingtime 41

I've gotten several years in a row. Just before it was closed.at that time it wasn't difficult to get. At least from my experience. I didn't have any points when I got them. But now might be another story with it being closed last couple of years.

Winchester

Local word on the street is, its unlikely DOE will actually have the hunts again, unless deer/vehicle collisions return to high numbers, which is how these hunts ever came about in the first place, way back in the mid 80's. I think many that work with TWRA on these hunts that are employed locally at the DOE facility's, want to have the hunts, but the bigwigs above don't want to have the costs and security risks unless absolute necessary! Also you can see where Turkeys are now legal on the Archery hunts, which Ive heard is taking place of the Spring Turkey hunts (which have been cancelled 3 yrs in a row now). Nothing I just typed is fact, just what I have heard from somewhat reliable sources! lol I
Personally hope they have them as I live close by and have some priority points!

TheLBLman

Local word on the street is, its unlikely DOE will actually have the hunts again, unless deer/vehicle collisions return to high numbers, which is how these hunts ever came about in the first place, way back in the mid 80's.
Winchester "nailed it".
Also, the "powers that be" are not hunters, don't like hunters, and don't want hunters on the area;
UNLESS, they have great need for those hunters' help.
Even then, I'm afraid there may be as good a chance as not, "sport" hunting at Oak Ridge WMA has ended. In the future, it may be government employees simply eradicating deer.

This is "top down" (political) and not just local word on the street.
You can expect similar on all federal lands, just an issue to what extent & how.

Note the elimination of quota deer hunts this year on many National Wildlife Refuges.
Some will say, yes, but they're still having some deer hunting.
Yes, but to the benefit of the refuges wanting deer near extinction,
at which point they close the deer hunting, and/or no one wants to go there anyway.

There is a war being waged against hunters and gun owners, even though the gun owners and hunters have been winning, the political winds have changed. And the "powers that be" have much control on federal lands.

M. T. Pockets

I am with a party and we each have priority points. We have been granted hunts only to have them canceled the last few years. I have been looking forward to these hunts. IF they cancel again I may just forego buying a license anymore and hunt private family land.

BigRod

I am with a party and we each have priority points. We have been granted hunts only to have them canceled the last few years. I have been looking forward to these hunts. IF they cancel again I may just forego buying a license anymore and hunt private family land.
Don't blame ya a bit!!! There's select few public land spots that I know of that don't get absolutely pounded! Them are too secret lol

Gmed

Us as well and I am with ya 100%. When I first started deer hunting, a man had to travel to the National Forest or a WMA just to see a deer track, much less a whole deer. Now days, if you hang out in your back yard long enough, one will wander thru sooner than later. Enjoyed looking at different scenery, but stand as good a chance getting a decent buck closer to home with less hassle….

lilfarmer80

I just applied for the zone 1 hunt for the first time ever. How will I know if I got it if they even have it this year? Was it a good thing to apply for? @mike243
Zone 1 is the muzzleloader/shotgun zone. You should receive an email in a month or so stating if you got selected or not- and if selected, you will receive your printed permit and map in the mail. Here's hoping they have the hunts! Should be a good one for everyone!

killingtime 41

With all the incoming northerners and elsewhere.the stuff you hear about they are all conservative trying to flee liberal states. Is an outright lie. Last 3 or 4 years towns I would have never thought would become liberal have indeed.and I know locals haven't all of a sudden changed they're minds. Just like the commies play the waiting game. With infiltrating our schools and everything in between. They already own the big cities. Is it out of the question they're coming for the small towns. And all of us have our hand out selling the farm. Never realizing we're selling the last stronghold of freedom we will ever know.

Buzzard Breath

With all the incoming northerners and elsewhere.the stuff you hear about they are all conservative trying to flee liberal states. Is an outright lie. Last 3 or 4 years towns I would have never thought would become liberal have indeed.and I know locals haven't all of a sudden changed they're minds. Just like the commies play the waiting game. With infiltrating our schools and everything in between. They already own the big cities. Is it out of the question they're coming for the small towns. And all of us have our hand out selling the farm. Never realizing we're selling the last stronghold of freedom we will ever know.
That's an interesting insight on deer hunting at Oak Ridge WMA.

Latest posts