Anybody else scout Oak Ridge today?

TheLBLman

Ok there are 37000ac there and all of it can't be hunted but why shouldn't they call it a wma? all property's need somebody to call the shots, can't let it run wild. common sense dictates that.
But on this particular tract, exactly WHO is calling the shots?

If the TWRA "manager" there is the "left" hand,
and the Feds there (who routinely patrol the entire area) are the "right" hand,
then the "left" hand is clueless as to whatever is going on at the Oak Ridge WMA?

It would also help if TWRA WMA managers were themselves experienced hunters, instead of only being experienced in identifying species of song birds.

PickettSFHunter

But on this particular tract, exactly WHO is calling the shots?

If the TWRA "manager" there is the "left" hand,
and the Feds there (who routinely patrol the entire area) are the "right" hand,
then the "left" hand is clueless as to whatever is going on at the Oak Ridge WMA?

It would also help if TWRA WMA managers were themselves experienced hunters, instead of only being experienced in identifying species of song birds.
DOE/NNSA ultimately calls the shots. The TWRA WMA manager does spend a lot of time there. TWRA patrols areas a fair amount and catches some poaching activity, etc. TWRA also deals with a lot of nuisance wildlife calls around the facilities and has done some limited habitat work. If it's anything like other relationships for the ORR, then the DOE/NNSA funds the TWRA for the service out of the many billions that pour in.

Black Titan

Did anyone do any good this weekend? I haven't seen many pics of deer killed. Usually see pics of some good ones

Saw tons of deer. About 18 on Saturday, all just slightly out of bow range.

Sunday saw 3 all day, see my post "missed the big one" for details lol.

There were quite a few taken from what I understand, with the biggest as of Sunday around 2 being a 9 or 10 point (can't remember what the guy said) the field dressed to 170 something pounds.

BT

arctic_cat

Sunday saw 3 all day, see my post "missed the big one" for details lol.
I seen that. Sounded like an exciting experience for sure. Hate you didn't put an arrow in him. We have the hunt this coming weekend. I'll have to reach out to a few here at work that usually help work the hunt days and see if I can dig up a few pics. Most of the time the pics are floating around by now

Black Titan

I seen that. Sounded like an exciting experience for sure. Hate you didn't put an arrow in him. We have the hunt this coming weekend. I'll have to reach out to a few here at work that usually help work the hunt days and see if I can dig up a few pics. Most of the time the pics are floating around by now

Yeah I got drawn for this coming weekend too, ML/Shotgun but I'll be using my bow. Sucks it's doe only though.

The spot I seen this buck, on scout day there wasn't much sign. Couple of scrapes, trails, a bed or two, but no scat or rubs that were from this year. We got to walking around on Saturday afternoon after our morning sit, and in the past week this area has absolutely exploded with sign. Fresh rubs were everywhere. More scrapes, beds, etc. Kinda crazy. I hope I get the draw next year as well, I'll be going right back in there hoping to see that monster again.

BT

arctic_cat

9F54768A-13ED-4D80-A5E5-6D3E0D57EB8F.jpeg

This must be the 11 point. Only pic I've been able to dig up from this past weekend

Latest posts