Now we have okra ants...?

fishboy1

Okra is putting on pretty good but some carpenter ant looking critter is eating the outside cover of the blooms before they can close up and turn into a finished okra.

Dusted them with DE so I hope it runs them off.

Anybody ever have a problem with big fat black ants eating your okra?

catman529

Not here... my problem has been picking... got a few dozen 10" pods that are far too tough to eat. After picking a couple dozen, the spines start to irritate me and the dripping sweat from the sun starts to get to me. I need to be out there early morning with a pair of gloves or something... if you were closer, I'd say come pick some of my okra.

fishboy1

catman,

I have a long sleeved fishing shirt that I wear in the garden. Helps a LOT with picking spiny stuff like Okra and squash. Also helps keep the skeeter swarm off me.

Ours gets away from us if we dont pick every day or 3. One day you have okra that are about 1/2" too short to pick and the next thing you know.... Green banana's everywhere!

Dodge Man

I have to wear long sleeves and gloves and long pants to be able to pick okra. if I don't I itch so bad I can't continue to pick it. I always wait till the sun goes down to pick everything in the garden so it is not so hot.

As for bugs I keep mine sprayed with Seven and have had no trouble with bugs.

TX300mag

I'm not sure what type of ants you have, but I know I get ants bad when it's really dry. Seems they head straight to the blooms for the moisure.

I've never had them do enough damage to spray, but I bet the DE helps.

Latest posts